Anybody try an outboard upsampling converter?

Hi All,

I was just curious if anyone had tried an outboard upsampling DAC. Does 24/192 improve the sound at all??

Or does it bring out digital artifiacts??

Anybody??

Thanks,

NTRSANDMANN

What would be the point? The Axe-Fx has a fixed sampling rate/bit depth digital input so any outboard sampler is going to have to down sample to talk to the Axe-Fx. While the Axe-Fx's sampling rate may not be bleeding edge, state of the art, its A/D converters are extra-ordinarily high quality. They are scary good at resolving low-level signals accurately -- a place where most A/D's fall apart and no doubt one of the pieces that makes the Axe-Fx so great at responding "like an amp' when you roll back your volume.

I just got a Little Dot DAC for my hifi and it has totally transformed my system. It improved the imaging and focus big time, but the biggest improvement is that all my favorite recordings are way more involving, with less listening fatigue. It's worth noting that I was initially using the built-in audio out in my Mac Pro to drive my stereo system. Not sure how this would translate to the AF, but it would be easy enough to try it - as Ian says, the Axe already has high quality DACs. But I highly recommend an outboard DAC to anyone who wants to get more out of their iTunes.

Back
Top Bottom