Anybody tried the Laney IRT–X?

I was pretty interested in this as an FRFR option until I saw it only has an 8" speaker. 200 watts is 200 watts, but I'm concerned the speaker won't be able to throw as much air as a 10" or 12"....

After trying out the Laney IRT-X I will start by saying that I am pretty impressed with the sound and volume out of such a small unit. I think it would require 2 to have the volume for a full band depending on the type of music you play. I'm not 100% sure of the flat response that it claims, but the EQ options help to shape the sound to your liking very easily. It was a bit bassy, but cleared up rather nicely with very little tweaking. The FX loop and also switchable 1x12 or 4X12 cab emulator gives you a ton of versatility. However I just use mine as a flat speaker and it pushes the amp-cab-effects from my ax8 nicely.

If you play metal in a band it may be difficult to get ideal tone from a pair of Laney IRT-X's at peak volumes, but I think any other genre will work well. Is it atomic CLR level... obviously not, but it's not at that price point. I think for the price and size it is a great, versatile, and durable unit. Maybe the best in the $300-$400 price point.

If they made a 12" varient for under $500, it would be a huge seller. As it is, I think the Yamaha DXRs are a better deal for stage use.

I tried it recently- posted a mini review of it. It sounded small and boxy to me but the size is great and it has a lot of handy features.

Havent tried the Laney, but was at guitar center today and tried a Harbinger with a 12 inch speaker, a Alto with 12 inch speaker and new Jbl eon with a ten inch, they didnt have a jbl with a 12 on hand. I didnt bring my ax8 but grabbed a marshal jvm head and used the emulated xlr out on back . Harbinger plenty of volume but extremely bassy even with the bass control on back rolled off half way or more, Alto wasnt as Bassy but still too much and there is no eq to roll off the bottom end, it also had plenty of volume. The Jbl was great , seemed to be perfect, no need to roll off anything, the jbl also has bluetooth and with a app you can eq the shit out of it if you want, the jbl i tried was in an unopened box so it was set at factory eq whatever that is. it did not have as much volume i didnt think as the other two and i was pushing it so the limit light was flashing now and then , dont think i could have pushed it too much more with out it come on steadily. I absolutely loved the sound i was getting , very smooth , and was probably enough for typical bar stages or your home as monitor. I would have bought it on the spot but if i get it from sweetwater i can get it without tax and a free two year warranty. I will be buying it!! the harbinger cost 199, the alto 299 and the jbl i tried was 350 bucks. they had a qsc with a ten but I honestly dont want to spend that much cash for one, so i didnt bother to try it.
hell i think you can get a pair of the jbls for about the price of one qsc.

Havent tried the Laney, but was at guitar center today and tried a Harbinger with a 12 inch speaker, a Alto with 12 inch speaker and new Jbl eon with a ten inch, they didnt have a jbl with a 12 on hand. I didnt bring my ax8 but grabbed a marshal jvm head and used the emulated xlr out on back . Harbinger plenty of volume but extremely bassy even with the bass control on back rolled off half way or more, Alto wasnt as Bassy but still too much and there is no eq to roll off the bottom end, it also had plenty of volume. The Jbl was great , seemed to be perfect, no need to roll off anything, the jbl also has bluetooth and with a app you can eq the shit out of it if you want, the jbl i tried was in an unopened box so it was set at factory eq whatever that is. it did not have as much volume i didnt think as the other two and i was pushing it so the limit light was flashing now and then , dont think i could have pushed it too much more with out it come on steadily. I absolutely loved the sound i was getting , very smooth , and was probably enough for typical bar stages or your home as monitor. I would have bought it on the spot but if i get it from sweetwater i can get it without tax and a free two year warranty. I will be buying it!! the harbinger cost 199, the alto 299 and the jbl i tried was 350 bucks. they had a qsc with a ten but I honestly dont want to spend that much cash for one, so i didnt bother to try it.
hell i think you can get a pair of the jbls for about the price of one qsc.

It looks like you tried the 610 model. Makes me curious about the 612 model. At only $400, it might be a decent alternative to more expensive options. I look forward to more reviews.

I went back to GC yesterday and bought the jbl 610, they didnt have a 612 to try but im quite happy with my purchase. I would have liked to try the 12 inch but im not regretting at all what I bought. ax8 sounds great thru it. I will be using it for practice thursday so then ill know if its loud enough.

Yeah I was hoping they had a 12" too like the other Ironheart series, but are not an FRFR. I ended up getting a pair of Electro-Voice ZLX-12P instead.

If they made a 12" varient for under $500, it would be a huge seller. As it is, I think the Yamaha DXRs are a better deal for stage use.

I've wondered if the ISP Technologies Vector FS8 would also sound boxy since it has an 8" speaker? Although it's marketed as sounding bigger than a 4x12...lol.

I tried it recently- posted a mini review of it. It sounded small and boxy to me but the size is great and it has a lot of handy features.

Almost got a 10" too (Yamaha DXR10), but ended up with a pair of Electro-Voice ZLX-12P instead. I've read into JBL Eon's "bassiness".

I went back to GC yesterday and bought the jbl 610, they didnt have a 612 to try but im quite happy with my purchase. I would have liked to try the 12 inch but im not regretting at all what I bought. ax8 sounds great thru it. I will be using it for practice thursday so then ill know if its loud enough.

Back
Top Bottom