Any recommendations on which monitors to buy?

GK1

I don't currently have a piece of Fractal gear, but I am on the list for the FM9. I'd like some recommendations on what powered monitors might be a good choice to pair with it. I'd want to put the monitors in my living room (an area of around 15' x 12') where I spend a lot of time. I'd be using the unit mostly to play unaccompanied, but also to play along with backing tracks. I'll be using it for everything from nylon string classical to heavy distorted tones. I'd like to spend under $1,500 on a pair of powered monitors, if possible. I'd also prefer a woofer in the 5- to 8-inch range. I'd probably be 5-6 feet away from the monitors, so I assume I can get away with near field, but if someone thinks mid-field is an appreciably better option for that distance, let me know. Volume will not need to be very loud (condo), so that's not a priority. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5-6 feet away is pretty close to ideal for nearfield monitors, so that should work. In a room that large you could definitely get away with the 8 inch driver size. A 5 inch monitor will still sound great, but the 8 will give you more punch. There are many popular options and quality tends to scale with price. A lot of people like the Presonus, Kali, and Yamaha on the budget end.

I just got a pair of Presonus Eris E5 XT's. They sound great & I'm really happy with them. Sweetwater has them on sale right now. I got mine for $256.70 shipped. :)

5-6 feet away is pretty close to ideal for nearfield monitors, so that should work. In a room that large you could definitely get away with the 8 inch driver size. A 5 inch monitor will still sound great, but the 8 will give you more punch. There are many popular options and quality tends to scale with price. A lot of people like the Presonus, Kali, and Yamaha on the budget end.
Thanks for the input!

You really can't go wrong with a pair of Neumann KH 120 monitors. Best in class at that price point IMO.

They are nearfield. I use them for everything, as well as my FM3.

You will, of course, get everyone's personal favorites, but still good advice. In that price range you have tons of options. I am a firm believer with Stusio mnitors you "mostly" get what you pay for.
Check Sweetwater and just select your price range on the left side of the screen in active studio monitors.

for that room and your choices I would go for minimum 7" up to 8". Big sound.

Back
Top Bottom