Any music man luk 3 players out there ?

SRDELE

Inspired
Thinking about getting one but not sure it will be a good fit with the rest of my guitars. I have been a ibanez guy for , well ever. Any idea how going from a js1000 neck to a luk 3 would be. I bought a jp6 and played it for 10 minutes but felt jumping between these guitar was to much of a change in feel. Is this something you grow into or is it not worth having such a different neck size? Thanks for your thoughts on this post.

SRDELE

If the neck is anything like a Luke II, try before you buy.

For some it is the ideal neck but for me, I have to take too much care not to hurt myself playing it.
Even though I don't have esp. large hands at all, the neck can feel too small and a bad fit.
The Luke II is quite different than say a standard strat neck.

I think the neck profile is the same on the 2 as it is on the 3 and what you you have said is why I am gun shy on buying one.

And you need more than a few minutes too.

Cause at first you just want the guitar, or you don't notice so much, or you think "I'll adapt".
But I discovered some stuff is difficult to adapt to if it just doesn't fit great.
Not only can you hurt yourself, but a different spacing can e.g. make that you can't damp strings as naturally/easily as you're used to.
I have that problem when playing skank style on that guitar and then you know there will be mistakes and it makes you lose confidence.

Yes - try before you buy. But don't make a hasty decision based on the first impression - the neck is compact and different to the modern C shape or Ibanez Wizard - but really nice too IMO. I have a Luke 2 which I bought unseen - I have a large hand and am comfortable with anything from a LP 59 style neck to a 'wizard' neck - yet playing the Luke is really nice to me.

The only thing I didn't like was the fret profile - they were vintage fender skinny low profile type - I got it refretted with SS medium jumbos and now it's perfect for me - well I suppose I just need to be a little more careful doing open chord work at the skinny end if truth be told.

If you want a larger/wider/flatter neck radius Musicman then the Petrucci model would be worth looking at - I think I'll be hunting one of those down someday for real low action fun. Musicman build quality and hardware seems superb (as it should be at that price!).

And you need more than a few minutes too.

Cause at first you just want the guitar, or you don't notice so much, or you think "I'll adapt".
But I discovered some stuff is difficult to adapt to if it just doesn't fit great.
Not only can you hurt yourself, but a different spacing can e.g. make that you can't damp strings as naturally/easily as you're used to.
I have that problem when playing skank style on that guitar and then you know there will be mistakes and it makes you lose confidence.

He you with the Black Luke 2 ;)
Either you Love it, or you hate it....
I'm a lover..... even let me build a guitar with a strat body and a Luke2 Neck! ( that is why the black one had to go...:cry )
It has a bit more weight then the original Luke2, but sounds better...( for me...)

On the other hand, my playing isn't that awsome, so maybe it could be the guitar afterall.....:lol

I wanted a Luke but after trying the Silhouette Special I was sold. Now I have two, I don't think you can find a sweeter playing neck and the tones are super versatile. PS, i used to be an Ibanez lover.

He you with the Black Luke 2 ;)
Either you Love it, or you hate it....
I disagree :p
As well the guitar as using EMGs is a love/hate thing to me...
The guitar is becoming more "hate" cos since I readjusted some stuff, it doesn't stay in tune for "days" anymore.
I should have it refretted and professionally adjusted... ready for sale ;)
Since I've done the 18V mod and have a new PC, it's even picking up EMF now. I thought that was not even possible with EMGs. (could also be my mods or a cable maybe, or much stronger EMF than I used to have from the PC)

Then there is the 1st string prob that always sounded obviously too thin. I finally tried a .0095 there now, and at least that fixed that.

I do like to keep one EMG guitar, but we'll see what happens... As I really have hurt myself a lot on it already.
I'm now more interested in an ugly SG (for the awesome high reach) or an LP for the shorter neck and fat tone (+ weight :( )
Finances first... ;)

My thoughts:

I have mainly owned Ibanez's. I love my RG Prestige but the Super HP Wizard Neck (or whatever they call it exactly) is great for shredding but a bit of a pain for chording out because it is so wide/thin. So, I bought a JP6 - loved it for a day and then the pickup selector button right where my hand strums started driving me crazy and I couldn't get the trem to stay in tune like my Ibanez's always have. So it went back. Loved the neck on the Lukes, the rosewood, smaller frets, not as wide, plays really fast for me and chording is really easy, body is very comfortable, sits well. But of all 6 of them in the Guitar Center, only 1 was staying in tune, and that was a color I didn't want. So I picked my favorite and gave them a day to get it staying in tune. Told them I would come in the next day and if it stayed in tune I would buy it. They couldn't get it tune, wasted a day of my time and next week when I went in the store it was on sale for $500 off. I know a lot of people love the EBMMs and they do play nice. I think the trems are an issue with them. I have decided to go all Ibanez. They just work for me. Starting to pick up some RGA Prestiges with the fixed bridges.

I think the Luke 1 neck was the best, very skinny and v shaped. The Luke II is a bit chunkier and has more shoulder on the v shape. I now prefer the II neck profile. But I suppose because the Luke 1 was my second ever guitar and what I did the bulk of my learning on, I became a slave to slim v necks. Anything else just seems wrong to me. It seems you get used to what you get used to, in other words.....

Back
Top Bottom