Any love for room IRs?? Tip of the day;)

ebbot

So I’ve been searching for my guitar tone forever it seems, I’m that guy who feels like the guitar plays by itself when the sound is THERE… You just have a big smile on your face and want to play more! As you all know there’s a IR jungle out there. The factory IRs are great, but I never got it right… Enter 3d party IRs, and the giant rabbit hole… Mixing with Cab-lab and so on for hours - and the chops went down the drain;). Lots of clicking and searching and nada playing. So I finally asked myself: what am I really after?? As a fan of the signature tones of Allan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson, Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck and EVH I made a playlist with some of their greatest moments. To me, this is The Tone: Bo Fat with Scott Henderson.

Tried Tone matching but that didn’t work out. Enter room IRs, I found that the max-res room IRs from York Audio lighted a spark. But they were too CPU intensive and weren’t quite right. So I tried a couple of different Vendors room IRs in ultrares and settled on a pair of Celestion IRs. However I EQd them in Logic a fair bit to get rid of some high and mid, plus I post cab EQd in the Axefx3. I love the result! I got more attack and more sizzle and fatness which I was after anyway.
Without Fractal Axefx 3 and the great community I don’t think this would have been possible. What a tool! Have you had any luck with room IRs?

Greetings from Sweden, ebbot

Back
Top Bottom