Any Foo Fans?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good tone for Foo Fighters "Times Like These", especially the intro riff. Any thoughts? I've tried an AC-30 TB just near breakup, (which I have read is a go to for the band), but I'm not close.

Any comments are appreciated!

I don't know that particular song (not really a fan of that band), but I've seen others report that the triple crest model (Mesa Triple Crown) is a good starting point.

From what I remember reading…..over the years Foo Fighters used cranked AC-30’s for their recordings especially their earlier recordings.

From what I remember reading…..over the years Foo Fighters used cranked AC-30’s for their recordings especially their earlier recordings.
I read the same thing. I'm not sure if there is one or more compressors in front, but I don't seem to be near the clean sound on the main riff with the AC-30

I never have been wild about the AC-30 models on the Axe FX and I have tried. They seem stiff to me if that makes sense. I like the AC-20 (Morgan model) better and I think it is closer to my real Korg era AC-30. I found a really good IR that someone on the forum here had shot years ago with their 1964 Vox AC30 cab. I have tried many and this is my favorite one. PM and I can e-mail it to you.

Using a semi-hollow??

Also, that intro doesn't sound all that "clean," to my ears.

Top Boost Model with Master wide open gets pretty close if you roll the volume
back on your guitar, to my ears. Lots of stacked tracks in and out of the mix as you
move on from the intro chords. Gotta strum hard and attack those strings like
Dave, too. :)

Last edited:
I seem to remember Dave being asked how he got his tone, and he made a motion with his hand, as if to imply dragging it across all the knobs! :tearsofjoy:

I am not hearing a lot of comp---other than what is coming from the amp. Again, doesn't sound
like a clean tone to my ears. There's grit and break up in there. Definitely chimey in the top-end.

Dave is known for using Vox amps, but if you've ever seen photos of the Foo's rehearsal space, they have every amp under the sun, and different band members tend to play different amps and guitars. Not sure what the opening amp is, but the rhythm guitars in the verse sure sound like a driven Vox to me.

I never have been wild about the AC-30 models on the Axe FX and I have tried. They seem stiff to me if that makes sense. I like the AC-20 (Morgan model) better and I think it is closer to my real Korg era AC-30. I found a really good IR that someone on the forum here had shot years ago with their 1964 Vox AC30 cab. I have tried many and this is my favorite one. PM and I can e-mail it to you.
I'd love it if you dont mind sending it my way!

I'd love it if you dont mind sending it my way!

In a gig last year we played Times Like These, and I used the AC20. It did really well (this was on the AX8). I still use the Morgan AC20 for tones like on "Times Like These". I choose Morgan AC20 over the Vox models, every time.

He uses a Mesa Dual Rectifier also, if I recall..... but on heavier stuff like The Pretender.

Back
Top Bottom