Any Experience with adding a Piezo to your electric guitar (not a piezo guitar)?

SVOhio

Has anyone / Is anyone using a Piezo pickup they "added' to their "electric" guitar, and using it successfully?

I know I can buy a piezo to do so online. However, I just made one and it sounds really cool, except I get the classic hum unless you are touching the strings or metal of the guitar. I was curious if anyone had gone this route and successfully, and there was any thoughts or suggestions. I'm just looking for some experience if anyone has any.

I'm using a Cooper Carter setup for a manufactured piezo guitar, and I'm using a Drive Block FET Preamp to boost and EQ the tone.

Thanks!

1709734868116.png

I did cover band gigs for several years using an Axe-FX Standard with a Strat with Graphtech Ghost saddles.

I didn't use an onboard pre-amp. I wired the magnetic and piezo to a stereo jack (with a mini toggle to switch between mag/both/piezo) in to inputs 1 and 2.

It was a great solution for a cover band. While it doesn't sound like a nice acoustic mic'd up, it very nicely fills the same sonic space as an acoustic guitar in a mix. I got my best results using the Tube Pre amp block followed by a compressor.

I have a friend who did it to a prs se and a warmoth tele with great results.

The hum is a grounding issue.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and any suggestions. I think I just need to ground the piezo to eliminate the hum. However, any suggestions on maybe the best solution there are welcome. But as I said, it sounded very good, just I needed to ground it somehow.
:)

Back
Top Bottom