Any Carpenters Here? Question about blade tooth count.

sprint

Axe-Master
In the market for a light compact table saw to do some speaker cab projects etc but a bit confused about tooth count: does the tooth count on a 10" blade result in the same cut fineness/roughness as with the same tooth count on an 8 1/4" blade? (I'm deciding between 10" and 8 1/4" compact saw options and wondering if different sized blades associated with the different saw options result in different cut character - couldn't find much googling this question).

Pretty much decided on this one - any thoughts?

Have you watched the documentary about the story of A&M records?
Yes, some time ago now, - I remember the narrator recalling how Karen initially thought of herself as a drummer 1st and foremost - vocals were just an addon 😳 . I did not know Herb Alpert was the "A" in A+M till watching that doc (big fan of his music also) - seems like it was a great company to be associated with as an artist in those days.

In the market for a light compact table saw to do some speaker cab projects etc ...
That saw gets decent reviews on the woodworking forums I frequent. That said, a small table saw is less than ideal for cutting sheet goods like plywood or OSB. It can be difficult to get a straight and square cut with the small table and limited fence depth. My preference would be a track saw. I know this is more money, but you'll get better results with something like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ry...with-4-0-ah-hp-battery-and-charger/1001696480

As it comes in that package, it will cut a 4' wide sheet of material. With the addition of a second track, it will cut a 4' x 8' sheet of material lengthwise. There are other more robust brands than Ryobi, but they are also more expensive. To me, tools are the same as music gear. The cheap ones are more expensive in the long run.

In the market for a light compact table saw to do some speaker cab projects etc but a bit confused about tooth count: does the tooth count on a 10" blade result in the same cut fineness/roughness as with the same tooth count on an 8 1/4" blade? (I'm deciding between 10" and 8 1/4" compact saw options and wondering if different sized blades associated with the different saw options result in different cut character - couldn't find much googling this question).

Pretty much decided on this one - any thoughts?

If you have the same feedrate and if you indeed had the same tooth count on different diameter blades, then the smaller diameter blade will provide a finer cut i.e more teeth per inch as measured along the circumference of the cut. I would not recommend anything smaller than 10" on a tablesaw. Anything smaller...its uses are too limited.

'tooth count on a 10" blade result in the same cut fineness/roughness as with the same tooth count on an 8 1/4" blade?'
Yes. The only difference between a 10" blade and an 8-1/4" blade is the depth of cut. Typically, the more teeth, the finer the cut.

I bought this Freud blade for my 10" table saw and it was the best money I ever spent on a table saw blade.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000JNTG76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used it to cut through oak, when I built some stairs, I used it on birch plywood, when I built my 4 RU rack and I just finished installing some cupboards in a mudroom and I used it to rip melamine gable ends. It cut through all three materials with no tear out, even the melamine, which usually chips like crazy on the top side. Taping the melamine usually helps, but with this blade, there was no need. The blade cut through oak like it was butter.

... don't forget you're building a box, not some fine furniture. for this purpose, with some support/help, any saw would do.
mistakes will be covered by paint/tolex/grill
1720552984837.png

Nice to see all that energy and joy, not what I think of about her.
for sure - she had difficulties along with the enormous talent. A timeless voice - sounds fresh and new even today 50y later. A fav of mine here - love everything about this song incl short guitar solo (@4m52s) and guitar tone (very raw / almost like fuzz direct-in w no cab, but it works):

Last edited:
for sure - she had difficulties along with the enormous talent. A timeless voice - sounds fresh and new even today 50y later. A fav of mine here - love everything about this song incl short guitar solo (@4m52s) and guitar tone (very raw / almost like fuzz direct-in w no cab, but it works):

Hadn't heard that, interesting move for them.

That saw gets decent reviews on the woodworking forums I frequent. That said, a small table saw is less than ideal for cutting sheet goods like plywood or OSB. It can be difficult to get a straight and square cut with the small table and limited fence depth. My preference would be a track saw. I know this is more money, but you'll get better results with something like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ry...with-4-0-ah-hp-battery-and-charger/1001696480

As it comes in that package, it will cut a 4' wide sheet of material. With the addition of a second track, it will cut a 4' x 8' sheet of material lengthwise. There are other more robust brands than Ryobi, but they are also more expensive. To me, tools are the same as music gear. The cheap ones are more expensive in the long run.

Yes on a track saw over a cheap small table saw. Buy a good quality combination blade. And some decent saw horses. Ryobi makes consumer grade tools but if you don’t plan on using it a lot then it would be fine. My 1st table saw was a Ryobi. It had a small sliding table. I built some nice stuff with it. Small table saws will work but you will need a track saw or a decent circular saw and a straight guide to to cut full sheets of plywood down to a workable size.

Another vote for the track saw. I have a full-sized Jet table saw, but ever since I bought a track saw a few years ago the big saw is used mainly for long rips.

Especially dealing with full sheets-it’s much easier (and safer) to break down with a track saw as the only thing moving is the saw itself. Wrestling full sheets of 3/4” ply on a table saw sucks.

The track saw
is an interesting option - when not in use in back yard I only have room to store it down in the basement, so was looking for light / compact to keep it managable. Track saw would make this easy. I figured for longer cuts I can get HD to break down sheets to smaller work pieces on their in-store saw.

The track saw
is an interesting option - when not in use in back yard I only have room to store it down in the basement, so was looking for light / compact to keep it managable. Track saw would make this easy. I figured for longer cuts I can get HD to break down sheets to smaller work pieces on their in-store saw.

Most of the tracks out there can be joined to make a longer one, so storage is no big deal. Mine are hung on the back of the door to my shop.

... don't forget you're building a box, not some fine furniture. for this purpose, with some support/help, any saw would do.
mistakes will be covered by paint/tolex/grill
View attachment 142709
Good take for home projects - why invest in a wood shop if your use is occasional? I use a simple skil saw that projects a laser line. Snap a chalk line (or draw with a straight edge) where you want to cut, then get to work, keeping the laser line on top of the chalk line. You don't even need a very steady hand to make good cuts as long as you don't rush or sneeze. I've used it to cut shelving and even do surprisingly precise 8' plywood rips when I built a king bed base. According to the chart posted by @Vio above, its 7.25" blade will handle a 3" thick piece of stock, more than you'd need for cabinet work. Worth the $60.

If you're planning to "go pro" with your cabinet building prowess, I'd recommend something more robust, though! This thing gets used about twice per year. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BD81BLO

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 7.03.49 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom