Another guy getting started

Jack Tyler

Hi, guys,

I just bought a used Axe-Fx II XL+. I am not very computer literate, but was able to read the manual, start up, use the global function to turn off power amp and cabinet simulation. I then pugged into my Roland Blues Cube guitar amp (solid state) and got some great sounds right out of the box. Really amazing! Then I was (finally) able with the help of youtube, to download fractal bot, open up zip files and download Ares 1.03 into the Fractal. Here's where I'm stuck: I went to the page called the "Amplifier models list" that supposedly has the latest (and I guess last) presets for Fx II. The names of the presets I have on my Axe after downloading Ares 1.03 do not match up at all with the list. As an example, my first 3 presets (from 000 to 002) are labeled 59 Bassguy, 65 Bassguy and Brown face. The list I copied off of the website which says it is for Ares ver. 1.03 has the first 3 presets as 1959SLP Jump, 1959SLP Normal and 1959SLP Treble. Where did I mess up, and how can I get the correct presets loaded? When I downloaded Ares 1.03, I saw where you could only download some parts, but didn't realize until now you could hold out some for future presets. Also wanted to ask, if you buy and download presets like AustinBuddy, does that program overwrite all of the presets you have from Ares 1,03, some of them or what? Thanks for your responses.

A few comments: leave power Amp modeling ON with a solid state amp.

As far as the presets, I'm thinking maybe you are confusing presets with Amp models?

The Axe Fx II XL+ has 384 factory presets and 768 total preset slots. There are at least a couple AB preset packs, so you'd need to be more specific.

You may very well be right! If so, how do I find the preset that has amp #173, ODS Ford mid boost, for example?
Presets are just starting points. There isn’t a preset for every amp. You can change the amp type yourself in the amp block.

Personally, I'd just start with an empty preset, add an amp and reverb block and go from there. I find that the factory presets are interesting to learn what kinds of things you can do with the box, but not particularly useful as a starting place for making my own presets unless it has some particular, complicated, sound that I'm looking for. For instance, there's one that sounds like what you're playing is being played back on a warped, scratchy vinyl record. I wouldn't want to figure that out from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom