An RJM Owner's Observations of an FC

MKeditor

Experienced
Backstory:
I'm been a Fractal user since 2008. I've been using controllers long before that. I was using the MFC 101 with my Axe-FX II. They were some very nice proprietary perks but I lost out on when I upgraded to the Axe-FX III. We were told a new controller would be released soon. So I used the MFC via midi. When the FC controllers were announced and it was revealed that their would be 6 and 12 button versions I was very disappointed. The MFC had 21 buttons. My prior controller, the Liquid Foot Pro had 25 buttons. I'd have to use scenes. I liked free forming tones as I played which worked for those musical situations. So I wasn't interested in using menus while playing. Also it was going to be a while before they would be released. In looking at my options, I decided to pony up for a RJM MM GT-16. I have been thrilled with that controller for 6 years now. There's been no limitation on anything I've wanted. Ron with RJM has been a fantastic in helping me achieve and function I've wanted.

Eventually I started using scenes to created different versions of amps within a patch. For example, clean and dirty amps in my Vox preset. Or create a scene for a specific song that various effects.
A few years ago I stated playing in cover bands with large playlists. To nail tones and to quickly go from song to song, I created a preset for each song. The result is a lot less footwork. I use OnSong on my tablet. I assign a preset number to each song, so when I swipe to the next song, it changes the preset via midi. I haven't needed as many buttons. Also some of the venues we play are space challenged. I have been considering a smaller controller for those gigs. Or even an FM9. I have a rare fly date at the end of the month and thought this would be a good opportunity to try an FC-6.

Appearance:
The FC-6 is only about half the size of the RJM GT-16...which is surprising since it has only 1/3 of the buttons. The RJM is a lot prettier with it's large displays with loads of color. The photos I had seen of the FC is that they had tiny screens and that the text looked weak (brightness/contrast). But I know that photos can be deceiving when it comes to screens. I can never capture a controller with all screens looking like they do in person. The MKII version has larger screens but that's still only half the size of the RJM. The FC is only big enough for one line of text. The RJM has enough real estate for two lines. It's nice to have the block name on top and the channel name on bottom.
In person the screens/displays on the FC are fine. In fact, they're slightly easier to read than the RJM. It's possible that my RJM doesn't have as much contrast as it did 6 years ago.

Function:
First of all, it was great to just a XLR cable to connect to the Axe-FX. Although the FC has ten less buttons, it's able is able to accomplish a lot with it's menus. A couple of years ago Fractal added set lists to the Axe-FX. This is a fab feature that comes in handy for church gigs that use Music Stand by Planning Center. It's doesn't have midi assignment like OnSong. Therefore I have to advance to the next song via my controller. With the FC this is super easy using the Song+ and Song- buttons. I have the FC dialed in to the point I can do what I need to do. The one thing it can't do that that the RJM does: You can't pull up a menu of channel blocks. on the RJM you long pressing on the switch for a block and it will let you choose which channel. You can even name the channels.

Price:
Fractal easily wins this one.

Final Thoughts:
The RJM is the king of controllers and I'll still be using it. But the FC is more bang for your buck. The FC-6 is a great fly date choice. This experience gives me more confidence that down sizing to an FM9 is a solid possibility. Lastly, it confirms that I'm resistant to change but I sometimes come around to finding value in things that I reject at first. ✌🏼

RJM vs FC1.jpgRJM vs FC2.jpgRJM vs FC3.jpgMK controllers.jpg

Last edited:
Backstory:
I'm been a Fractal user since 2008. I've been using controllers long before that. I was using the MFC 101 with my Axe-FX II. They were some very nice proprietary perks but I lost out on when I upgraded to the Axe-FX III. We were told a new controller would be released soon. So I used the MFC via midi. When the FC controllers were announced and it was revealed that their would be 6 and 12 button versions I was very disappointed. The MFC had 21 buttons. My prior controller, the Liquid Foot Pro had 25 buttons. I'd have to use scenes. I liked free forming tones as I played which worked for those musical situations. So I wasn't interested in using menus while playing. Also it was going to be a while before they would be released. In looking at my options, I decided to pony up for a RJM MM GT-16. I have been thrilled with that controller for 6 years now. There's been no limitation on anything I've wanted. Ron with RJM has been a fantastic in helping me achieve and function I've wanted.

Eventually I started using scenes to created different versions of amps within a patch. For example, clean and dirty amps in my Vox preset. Or create a scene for a specific song that various effects.
A few years ago I stated playing in cover bands with large playlists. To nail tones and to quickly go from song to song, I created a preset for each song. The result is a lot less footwork. I use OnSong on my tablet. I assign a preset number to each song, so when I swipe to the next song, it changes the preset via midi. I haven't needed as many buttons. Also some of the venues we play are space challenged. I have been considering a smaller controller for those gigs. Or even an FM9. I have a rare fly date at the end of the month and thought this would be a good opportunity to try an FC-6.

Appearance:
The FC-6 is only about half the size of the RJM GT-16...which is surprising since it has only 1/3 of the buttons. The RJM is a lot prettier with it's large displays with loads of color. The photos I had seen of the FC is that they had tiny screens and that the text looked weak (brightness/contrast). But I know that photos can be deceiving when it comes to screens. I can never capture a controller with all screens looking like they do in person. The MKII version has larger screens but that's still only half the size of the RJM. The FC is only big enough for one line of text. The RJM has enough real estate for two lines. It's nice to have the block name on top and the channel name on bottom.
In person the screens/displays on the FC are fine. In fact, they're slightly easier to read than the RJM. It's possible that my RJM doesn't have as much contrast as it did 6 years ago.

Function:
First of all, it was great to just a XLR cable to connect to the Axe-FX. Although the FC has ten less buttons, it's able is able to accomplish a lot with it's menus. A couple of years ago Fractal added set lists to the Axe-FX. This is a fab feature that comes in handy for church gigs that use Music Stand by Planning Center. It's doesn't have midi assignment like OnSong. Therefore I have to advance to the next song via my controller. With the FC this is super easy using the Song+ and Song- buttons. I have the FC dialed in to the point I can do what I need to do. The one thing it can't do that that the RJM does: You can't pull up a menu of channel blocks. on the RJM you long pressing on the switch for a block and it will let you choose which channel. You can even name the channels.

Price:
Fractal easily wins this one.

Final Thoughts:
The RJM is the king of controllers but the FC is more bang for your buck. The FC-6 is a great fly date choice. This experience gives me more confidence that down sizing to an FM9 is a solid possibility. Lastly, it confirms that I'm resistant to change but I sometimes come around to finding value in things that I reject at first. ✌🏼

View attachment 143804View attachment 143808View attachment 143806View attachment 143807
ADA was in the '90s, too. Had one for a while. Hated the flaky switch buttons....

Here is my FM9 rig:
1000012342.jpg

In addition to the FC6, I have an ExpressionIO MIDI controller adding 8 switches to handle things that don't need an indicator light.
Left to right across the bottom of the FM9 board:
  1. Preset decrement
  2. Preset increment
  3. TBD per preset momentary
  4. TBD per preset momentary
  5. Delay accent momentary
  6. Flange accent momentary
  7. Rotary chorale/vibrato momentary
  8. Rotary chorale/vibrato latching

Last edited:
As much as I loved my GT/22, I just couldn't fit it on any stage we played on. And the FC12 is incredibly versatile. I very much agree with you that bang-for-buck it's hard to beat if you're just controlling Fractal gear.

With the move to the FM9, I let my GT/22 go with my Axe Fx III. While it remains the best, most powerful, and most versatile controller I’ve ever used, if you’re only controlling a Fractal unit, the FC series is near impossible to beat for native integration. On that count alone, I’ve not regretted the change. But I sure miss those screens.

The one feature I miss from the GT/22 is the channel switching interface. I've had a wish open for this on the FCs for ages. Being able to get to the "pick your channel" sub-screen for any block was a killer feature.
Where's that wish, so I can +1M it?
There's no Wishlist section in the FC Controllers area, can't find it.
Was just wishing for this the other day, someone else was too.
Doesn't even seem super hard to implement as another available switch action for a block.

Back
Top Bottom