Amp, under the fingers feeling

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
What is it about some amps (presets) that just have that certain feel to them?
Where it feels so good you can't stop playing?

I was checking out some factory presets while sitting on the couch the other day.
I stumbled upon the Shiva on the Rocks - Driven, preset, and I couldn't go any further!
So enjoyable to play!

Not gonna lie - i have the axe3, a superlead, jcm800 and jtm-45 and I still dont quite understand “amp under the fingers” :/ (response time and sag or something, but its still not a descriptor I use when trying to describe tones or amps).

It's all about how the amp responds to your playing dynamics. Some just have a sweet spot where the tone is compressed yet still dynamic at the same time. It's compressed enough to sound full and give some extra sustain, but dynamic enough that your picking dynamics and playing nuance shines through.
Axe has been doing that since i got it on fw11/12 though haha. Thats a right guitar right amp right settings thing imo.

I can slam my real superlead with fuzz and it’s gonna respond to dynamics just like my fas bass doom preset in the axe. I just call that dynamics vs amp under the fingers.

I say all this as I believe sometimes people use a term I understand differently to describe something I already experience and understand. OP talks about the amp felt great to play, which I would describe as “in the zone” (the playing session is greater than the sum of the parts - the experience is elevated).

Hope that makes sense!

I think @RevDrucifer has a real shiva and loves it

Back
Top Bottom