AMP to gtr cab or FRFR???

Dday

I'm considering going the FRFR route, simply to take advantage of all the features of the Axe (cabsims, etc). I have the chance to get a QSC HPR122i cheap (and new!), but I keep reading about the FBT. Is it THAT much better?? Also, I've been running the Axe w/a DCM150 and a Port City 2x12 (w/very little tweaking so far) at home, and it's been ok. I know, I know...I should dig into it more.
I'm a little reluctant to take the monetary jump to the QSC's, for fear that I won't like the sound, and I'll have to turn around, sell it, and start over again. I want to gig with this soon!
I guess my question is...in a live setting, do you guys using a FRFR miss the feel and sound of a good cab and tube warmth, or does the FRFR cover it well enough?

Just trying to keep from throwing good money after bad. I've done that WAAAAY too much in the past few years.

Dday

I have not run my Axe into anything but the Qsc hpr 122i since buying mine about a year ago. My experience over the last 9 years has only been with modeling type setups so I might not be the most qualified to answer your question but I gotta tell you that the frfr solution has been so good for me, I haven't cosidered anything else. When running a backline cab setup, you can't hear yourself as well cause the sound is directed at the back of your legs, not to mention that if you are playing small to medium sized clubs, you are potentially ruining the foh mix as well. The Qsc takes away both of those problems cause it points right at your face. Tweaking a full range speaker as opposed to a guitar cab takes a little time but I have found it is time well invested. I've been in a few jam type situations where my Axe-Qsc setup did really well in the same room as both a VHT combo tube amp, and a Marshall half stack. Hope that helps. Good luck

I am using the Qsc hpr 122i and it's great, easy to tweek and I bought it from someone who didn't care for the FRFR thing.
My buddy went from the Qsc hpr 122i to the FBT and he likes it but he liked the QSC's also.
I also like running my standard thru the effects loop of my Budda SDII 18 combo only using the drive/pedals & effects and I like this too.
You'll have to try some different things out to see what you like but I also run vocals and acoustic thru my axe when I do a solo acoustic set and it rocks no matter how I run it.

Axe (cab sim off) -> Poweramp -> Guitar Cab is the most "realistic" sounding and feeling setup, as far as the guitar player is concerned (IMHO, of course). The "problem" with an FRFR setup is that most guitar players are accustomed to hearing the unmic'd guitar tone from a guitar cab, whereas an FRFR setup will put out a recorded/mic'd tone, which doesn't sound and feel the same as an unmic'd one. Depending on the guitar player's preference, this may or may not be a big deal. Speaking personally, however, the feel and sound difference is important enough to me that I'm willing to lug around a 4x12 to shows (though with the Axe, you could easily send direct signals to the Board simultaneously).

Now, to put things in perspective, most of your audience is actually accustomed to hearing the mic'd guitar tone - whether from albums or shows with mic'd guitar cabs. At the end of the day, this is a matter of preference on the guitar players's part, and it really makes no the audience (tone wise) whether you use a guitar cab or a FRFR/direct setup, as long as it's properly mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom