Amp switching with MFC-101?

heyrich

Hi all,

Just got the MFC-101 and I am enjoying it. One problem though:

I want to switch my tube amp head with the switch out (1+2/3+4) on the back of the pedal. My tube amp head has inputs on the back for switching channels.
I have spent a couple of days and cannot get it to work.
Preset external switches XS1/2/3/4 on or off, any combination, nothing switches my amp head....

The head switched fine with other switchers. So what settings in the MFC should be made??

Any help would be welcome.

Rich

Hi heyrich,

The switch connectors on the MFC are to add switches to the MFC and not so that the MFC can switch external equipment.
You'll need something like the Amp Gizmo (or the Mini Amp Gizmo) to do the switching.

Bummer. I just sold my amp switcher I was thinking the MFC could switch channels on a head.
Have to look out for that amp Gizmo.

It's a shame the MFC-101 cannot switch channels on a head with every preset you select! The Roland FC -300 midi pedal can do that and so does the Behringer. I had the Roland pedal for a while and it worked great. Very convenient. I think external amp switching should be a standard on every midi pedal.

Thanks.

I don't disagree.

From a different point of view, a big part of what AxeFx is about, is amp simulation. As a part of that concept, the MFC does offer plenty of ways to remotely control the AxeFx amps. It has advanced MIDI features that the Behringer, Roland, Boss etc MIDI controllers do not. So, it all depends on what you need and there isn't a one-size-fits-all MIDI controller out there afaik.

The MFC is more comparable to "higher end" MIDI controllers such as the Gordius pedals, Liquid Foot Jr|Pro, All Access, GCP etc - none of which support switching amps.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news :-/

Ok ok ,
it's just that.... The MFC-101 tries to sell itself as being not only THE midi pedal for the Axe FX, but also THE solution for any other midi setup or synth setup, according to the advertisements. I would say when used with the Axe FX, the MFC-101 has the convenience of not having to program the on/off switches. For any other rig, there's better solutions out there.

and...
I was kind of hoping and also more or less expecting that Fractal Audio, with the reputation it has, would come up with "THE new piece of equipment that killed them all". The Axe FX did that for every modeler and simulator out there. The MFC isn't all that.

already ordered the mini amp gizmo with the special 'midi' cable; Midi on one side and four stereo cables on the other side. That will sit nicely in the back of my rig without cluttering up. another 350 euros, ah well...

I think one of the problems facing foot pedal builders is the lack of a standard in amp switching. You have 2, 3, and 4 channel amps, some with dedicated ground switching, others without. I had a G system prior to my AxeFX and that was supposeed to be able to switch the Mesa amps I have, but it was not reliable at all. I went out and got MAGs (Mini Amp Gizmos) and that does the job beautifully. Heyrich you won't be unhappy. The simplicity, reliability,and flexibility of the MAGs make them a very nice edition to your setup.

Just my $.02

Joe

Back
Top Bottom