Amp Input Boost vs. Drive

mferrand

Inspired
Hey All,

This is more of a general question but since I use an FM9 I thought I'd post it here.

O.K. - So in the Preamp section of the Amp Block, you can select INPUT BOOST and have several drive types. You can change the Boost level but no EQ functions.
What makes this different that the DRIVE block where you have several more options? It seems a bit redundant.

Cheers, Mike

Attachments

• Input Boost.JPG
    Input Boost.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Drive.JPG
    Drive.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 5
And from the wiki page.... This explains what I was trying to ask.
The difference between the various types is the EQ (frequency response) of each model. The Boost Level parameter sets the amount of boost. Using an input boost instead of a separate Drive bock saves CPU.

And from the wiki page.... This explains what I was trying to ask.
The difference between the various types is the EQ (frequency response) of each model. The Boost Level parameter sets the amount of boost. Using an input boost instead of a separate Drive bock saves CPU.
I like using this function because you can get the naturel sound of the amps drive using the neutral setting as opposed to a drive that adds a sonic footprint or gain structure of a particular drive!

I like using this function because you can get the naturel sound of the amps drive using the neutral setting as opposed to a drive that adds a sonic footprint or gain structure of a particular drive!

I agree - once I started using the preamp boost, including A/Bing it against using drives, I almost always prefer the preamp boost. It's one of my favourite things about the Fractal platform.

I realize many players default to using drives because that's what they did in the non-modeller world for practical reasons, but I strongly encourage everyone to try using the preamp boost, especially if they prefer touch sensitive, tube amp gain over low voltage, solid state pedals.

Back
Top Bottom