Advice needed - new cell phone

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
I've had it with high-cost cell phones on a plan with the provider. They barely last the duration of the contract. My most recent was an expensive Samsung S series and it was a lemon from the start (well, actually, from the moment it was no longer returnable). Never again, Samsung!

I do not want to spend $1000 or more on a commodity item that may only last two years (cell phones are expensive in Canada!). I'm going to take a shot at cheaper options this time around. Preferably less than cdn$300

Furthermore, I must have two specific things: a micro SD slot for memory extension, and preferably also a headphone out. Fewer and fewer phones now have micro SD (pity!)

Currently considering a Samsung Galaxy A15 that has both of these features and is affordable, but it is a Samsung (didn't I just take a vow to never fall for Samsung again?)

Any advice? What about this influx of (used to be cheap but no longer) Chinese brands like Xiaomi etc? Are they for real?

GPT does not suck for questions like this:

===================
There are indeed good alternatives under CDN$300 that meet the requirements of having a micro SD slot and a headphone jack. Here's a rundown of some options they might consider, along with insights into some Chinese brands like Xiaomi:

Affordable Smartphones with Micro SD and Headphone Jack​

1. Motorola Moto G Power (2023)
    • Price: Around CDN$300
    • Features: 6.5-inch display, good battery life, micro SD slot, headphone jack
    • Pros: Reliable performance, decent camera for the price, long battery life
    • Cons: Software updates can be slower compared to other brands
  2. Nokia G20
    • Price: Around CDN$250-300
    • Features: 6.5-inch display, solid build quality, micro SD slot, headphone jack
    • Pros: Clean Android experience, good battery life, durable design
    • Cons: Average performance, camera quality is decent but not exceptional
  3. Xiaomi Redmi Note 10
    • Price: Around CDN$300
    • Features: 6.43-inch AMOLED display, micro SD slot, headphone jack
    • Pros: Excellent display, good performance, decent camera
    • Cons: MIUI software can be cluttered, may have ads in the UI
  4. Samsung Galaxy A15
    • Price: Around CDN$250-300
    • Features: 6.5-inch display, micro SD slot, headphone jack
    • Pros: Good performance for the price, solid display, Samsung's reliability in software updates
    • Cons: Mixed feelings due to previous experience with Samsung

Chinese Brands Like Xiaomi​

Xiaomi: Known for providing high-quality devices at competitive prices. The brand has gained significant traction globally and is generally considered reliable. Their phones often feature good hardware for the price, though their MIUI software can be polarizing due to the presence of ads and bloatware.

Realme: A subsidiary of Oppo, Realme offers budget-friendly devices with impressive specifications. Their phones often come with good build quality, decent cameras, and solid performance for the price.

Huawei: Another major player, though their recent phones might lack Google services due to trade restrictions. However, their older models are still widely used and appreciated for their build quality and features.

Recommendations​

• If your friend is keen to avoid Samsung, the Motorola Moto G Power or Nokia G20 could be excellent choices. Both brands have a good reputation for reliability and value for money.
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 is also a strong contender if they are open to trying out a Chinese brand. Xiaomi has been making waves with its high-quality yet affordable devices.
Your friend should consider their priorities—whether they value a cleaner software experience (Nokia, Motorola) or are okay with a bit more customization and potential bloatware (Xiaomi).

These options should provide a balance between affordability and the desired features without compromising too much on quality or performance.

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8 that I bought refurbished 6 years ago. Aside from needing to go to the Verizon store and buy a $10 sim card, the phone has performed flawlessly. I believe it was around $300 at the time.

I can't dig up my sale info, so I don't know where I bought it, but it was probably ebay. I'd have no hesitation buying this, if I needed a new one. But I don't yet.

I’m no longer on the android side and it’s been awhile ago but I had the moto g power for 2 years. Killer battery life 2-3 days without a charge and big screen. Never had issues with speed/multitasking.

I have a Galaxy S10e that was $300 new, and it's been fine for my uses. Not too big or too small, fast enough.

Gripes: Screen isn't as bright as I'd like for maps in the car on a bright day, but I'll live, and battery life isn't amazing, but it's ok for my mostly working at home all day life.

The battery swelled up, pushing the back out. I ireplaced it for a little less than $100 at a local iFix, without really shopping around.

I actually like the UI pretty much. Either it's pretty intuitive, or I'm pretty used to it. (As opposed to an iPhone, which I want to throw out the window whenever i have to do anything on my wife's.)

Back
Top Bottom