Add a local file to Spotify on iOS?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
I put a .wav file of a song of mine on my Google drive, sent my wife a link to it, she downloaded it to her iPhone, and can play it.

However, we can't figure out how to add it to Spotify. I've done that successfully on my Windows laptop and Android phone, but can't figure it out on her iPhone 15 Pro Max.

I've read this:
https://support.spotify.com/us/article/local-files/

I've enabled local files in Spotify, but didn't understand how to put the file somewhere Spotify can see it.

Help?

I put a .wav file of a song of mine on my Google drive, sent my wife a link to it, she downloaded it to her iPhone, and can play it.

However, we can't figure out how to add it to Spotify. I've done that successfully on my Windows laptop and Android phone, but can't figure it out on her iPhone 15 Pro Max.

I've read this:
https://support.spotify.com/us/article/local-files/

I've enabled local files in Spotify, but didn't understand how to put the file somewhere Spotify can see it.

Help?
Any ideas?
Would appreciate any thoughts.

UPDATE, WITH MORE SPECIFICS

I enabled local files in Spotify on her phone, and restarted her phone.

In the Files app, I copied the file to the Spotify folder under On My Phone, as per the instructions I referenced before, and also the Local Files - Help guide in that directory.

That help file says files in that folder should show up in the Local Files playlist in My Library, but that playlist doesn't exist. I tried creating that playlist myself, but nothing showed up in it, even after restarting the phone.

My song doesn't come up searching for it by name, or searching for "local", which unsurprisingly, finds a bunch of songs and artists by that name.

I'm stuck, out of ideas.

Help?

An mp3 file downloaded to my iphone shows up in Spotify for me. I downloaded it to the Spotify folder in Files from Safari. And in Spotify, I turned on Local Files -> Show audio files from this device. The file then appeared in my Local Files in Spotify.

P.S. My Local Files folder already existed in Files and Spotify...I suppose because I had previously downloaded files that are in my Spotify library.

Last edited:
Thanks @GlennO .

The directory On My Phone > Spotify already existed, with the file Local Files - Help guide in it, so Spotify must have put it there.

What doesn't exist, or isn't visible, is the Local Files playlist in Spotify, which is where files in that directory should show up, according to that help file.
If I create it myself, files in On My Phone > Spotify still don't show there, no doubt because it's not the Magic Playlist that works like that.

Try downloading a file from Spotify. That should create a correct folder and playlist for you. After that works, then add your own files to that folder.

Worth a shot, thanks for the idea, will try tomorrow.

However, the point of adding it to Spotify in the first place was to play through our receiver. That can play other Spotify songs through Roku or directly, but at least on my Android phone, can't play local files that are on my phone.

Makes sense, if it's reading Spotify stuff over the net, not streaming it from the phone itself. If that's the case, this is all useless for our purposes. I'll still try your download idea, just to see if we can get that working, but it looks like I need to burn a CD of the song. That's assuming we have any CDRs, and that the CD writer in my laptop still works, haven't done that stuff in a couple forevers.

Bleh.

AirPlay is handy for that kind of thing. Play any audio from any app to any AirPlay receiver, including multiple receivers simultaneously.

AirPlay is handy for that kind of thing. Play any audio from any app to any AirPlay receiver, including multiple receivers simultaneously.
Thanks, I'll point my wife at that idea (not an apple guy myself as you can tell}. I think she's used AirPlay for other stuff, so this may well work out.

Back
Top Bottom