Acoustic preset question

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
So I acquired an EBMM JP15 and am incorporating it in my duo where I need the versatility of acoustic and electric sounds. I currently have my duo preset written around my Fender Ultra Strat which the JP15 is now replacing. I will pepper the electric sounds (they need peppering, due to going from singles to buckers), but my question is how do I approach the piezo pickup signal path the best? No amp? No IR? IR only? Clean amp, no IR? Any of you guys doing similar? How does your patch look for that?

congrats on the JP15. Great guitars. I had one for quite some time. I'm not in front of my Axe edit right now but had a separate path for the piezo that joined up at the end of my main signal path at OUT 1 unless you want separate OUT2 feeding something else. I never used IR's or cab blocks. Some used the tube pre amp block . check out cooper carter vid ...and his petrucci preset (one of the factory presets?) I believe has the piezo path. I used a splitter box and had a TRS cable from the JP15. Piezo line to the input 2 back of the AX3. Usually I had a very simple path including a comp, (tube pre amp optional) , GEQ, Chorus, Reverb.

Last edited:
I recommend trying the different options and see what works best for that guitar, the tones you want, and the destination (for example, are you sending the ‘acoustic’ signal to a different channel at FoH vs running all sounds to the same output?). Piezos on an electric can benefit from an acoustic IR. I’d be tempted to start with an IR and possibly multi-band compressor, and go from there. I would not use an amp block if you’re trying to get it sounding as close as possible to an acoustic. And if you need more EQ control (especially if you’re not using a multiband compressor) just use an EQ block.

I usually use no amp at all for the acoustic chain. Use a compressor if you want, definately an acoustic IR like the ones available from 3sigma audio:
https://www.3sigmaaudio.com/acoustic-impulses/
in a cab block, preferably near or at the beginning of the chain, and maybe 2 in stereo. Maybe some modulation if you want, then a touch of reverb & delay at the end of the chain. This should sound very convincing for a live acoustic sound from an electric with piezos. I do this all the time and it works great.

You can route this to a seperate out, but if you're running to FOH, you can just route it to out1 with the mag pickups too.

I ’d be tempted to start with an IR and possibly multi-band compressor, and go from there. I would not use an amp block if you’re trying to get it sounding as close as possible to an acoustic. And if you need more EQ control (especially if you’re not using a multiband compressor) just use an EQ block.
Very much this approach. Don’t be afraid to EQ the resulting sound. Every acoustic guitar you hear on stage is EQd.

Back
Top Bottom