Accordian sound

Has anyone found or created a patch that sounds like an accordian? I am trying to play an accordian part on guitar. (Vienna Billy Joel). Thanks in advance.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but you could use Midi Guitar 2. I've been experimenting with this with my FM9. What I have is a preset, where the first block after input is an output block (2 or 3, can't remember which). I run the output to and from my iPhone using an iRig interface to convert the guitar signal to digital to bring into the phone. On my phone I am running Midi Guitar 2 and a slew of virtual instruments and synthesizers. The output from the phone is brought into Input 2 on the FM9 and from there various effect blocks to process the sound. Doing this, you could use a synthesizer virtual instrument app that has a decent accordion preset/sound.

I've been having a blast with this making my guitar sound like piano, organ, trumpet, moog synthesizer, etc. I'm working out the bugs to be able to select patches on my phone for Midi Guitar 2. I'm going to sneak this into Worship Team practice at church and start "playing the piano" or maybe a pipe organ and watch the keyboard player flip out.

Anyway, just a thought of a possible approach.

Steve

Not exactly what you are looking for, but you could use Midi Guitar 2. I've been experimenting with this with my FM9. What I have is a preset, where the first block after input is an output block (2 or 3, can't remember which). I run the output to and from my iPhone using an iRig interface to convert the guitar signal to digital to bring into the phone. On my phone I am running Midi Guitar 2 and a slew of virtual instruments and synthesizers. The output from the phone is brought into Input 2 on the FM9 and from there various effect blocks to process the sound. Doing this, you could use a synthesizer virtual instrument app that has a decent accordion preset/sound.

I've been having a blast with this making my guitar sound like piano, organ, trumpet, moog synthesizer, etc. I'm working out the bugs to be able to select patches on my phone for Midi Guitar 2. I'm going to sneak this into Worship Team practice at church and start "playing the piano" or maybe a pipe organ and watch the keyboard player flip out.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Super creative. I will look into that approach. Might be more complicated than I am looking for, but souds very cool. I apprecaite your response!

Steve
Steve, your reply to the OP was timely for me as well. I want to add synth to my live rig and I'm deep in research on the best way to do it. I'm considering adding a Graphtech Ghost system to my PRS which will require routing and the addition of knobs and switches. I've started seriously considering Midi Guitar 2 but adding a laptop to my rig sounds like a pain with a lot of potential issues.

Would you say that the phone setup you are using is suitable for live performance? I'm assuming you are using one of the iRig units that have a USB port, like the iRig HD X?

Steve, your reply to the OP was timely for me as well. I want to add synth to my live rig and I'm deep in research on the best way to do it. I'm considering adding a Graphtech Ghost system to my PRS which will require routing and the addition of knobs and switches. I've started seriously considering Midi Guitar 2 but adding a laptop to my rig sounds like a pain with a lot of potential issues.

Would you say that the phone setup you are using is suitable for live performance? I'm assuming you are using one of the iRig units that have a USB port, like the iRig HD X?
Before you mess up your PRS definitely give Midi Guitar 2 a try. The app is cheap. You'll also need to get some synthesizer apps. There are some decent free ones. Others you have to pay for, but they are cheap. I use the iRig HD 2 and it has a USB port. It is powered by the phone. As far as live performance I haven't gotten that far, but I think it would work. You'd want your phone on Airplane mode and make sure there is nothing that is going to beep or otherwise make a noise, and you'd probably want to use a lightning Y adaptor so that you can power the phone while you're using it with the iRig. Midi Guitar 2 let's you create presets, and the preset captures what synthesizer you're using and the preset on the synth app. Next I'm going to experiment with using an Airturn bluetooth pedal to select presets on Midi Guitar 2. That would allow me to set up four sounds using different synth apps and switch between them.

Before you mess up your PRS definitely give Midi Guitar 2 a try. The app is cheap. You'll also need to get some synthesizer apps. There are some decent free ones. Others you have to pay for, but they are cheap. I use the iRig HD 2 and it has a USB port. It is powered by the phone. As far as live performance I haven't gotten that far, but I think it would work. You'd want your phone on Airplane mode and make sure there is nothing that is going to beep or otherwise make a noise, and you'd probably want to use a lightning Y adaptor so that you can power the phone while you're using it with the iRig. Midi Guitar 2 let's you create presets, and the preset captures what synthesizer you're using and the preset on the synth app. Next I'm going to experiment with using an Airturn bluetooth pedal to select presets on Midi Guitar 2. That would allow me to set up four sounds using different synth apps and switch between them.
Thanks for that. With the phone setup, would there be any way to send MIDI cc messages to control the synth? I'm thinking that might require a laptop.

Thanks for that. With the phone setup, would there be any way to send MIDI cc messages to control the synth? I'm thinking that might require a laptop.
That is what I am using the Airturn pedal for. Hopefully. But for me that will be to change the preset for Midi Guitar 2. If you want to change something on the synth itself, not sure you can do that. There is a Midi Guitar forum where you can ask questions about how to do stuff.

Especially for a "musette" accordion tone like that you'd likely need to go full midi + synth (whether a phone app or otherwise) to get close to that. But given that it's just 'right hand single notes' (from the part I heard anyway ...) you could probably trigger it with guitar quite convincingly. Emulating right hand (bass) chords for accordion would be more complicated with guitar as a controller.

That said, when I need an accordion tone and don't want to deal with the logistics of a full accordion, I use a melodica - they are cheap and very portable, and I typically just play it into a vocal mic.

Back
Top Bottom