About half way to an FM9

Ledvedder

Inspired
I've been a tube amp guy for quite a while now. I've also been building my own amps for about 2 years. I tried a Helix rig a few years ago and wasn't satisfied with it at all. I received an Axe II in a trade last week. The trade was more about the guitar I received, but the guy threw in the Axe II to level the trade. Since then, I've been toying with the idea of trying a Fractal solution for gigging. I decided to put some gear that I haven't been using up for sale to put the funds toward an FM9. Well, here I am halfway there just 24 hours later. I'm still waiting to see if a couple of the more valuable items (EVH 5150 iii 50w and the Axe II) will sell. I hope they do soon so I can grab an FM9. I just wanted to introduce myself to this community and also say "Hey! Buy my gear that's for sale!" Haha 😂, just kidding. But I'm really looking forward to diving into the Fractal world.

All the Fractal units are well designed but the current generation, especially with the Cygnus firmware, convinced me that the days of tubes and tube amps are passing. I still have two boutique tube amps that rotate through, but the modeler is winning my loyalty because I don't worry about a tube blowing or cap leaking. I have my sound on stage from my FRFR cab(s) and a feed to FOH and, having let friends play my rig while I wander around, I'm really happy with the sound, especially when I'm standing just off stage listening to what the modeler is generating.

Download the manuals and read through them a couple of times to become familiar with the jargon and Fractal-way. Get familiar with the Wiki and the Tech Notes. It sounds like you have a good understanding of how amps, pedals, and pedalboards work, which will give you a good headstart.

Welcome to the forums!

My path to digital started with a reactive load box. I played my amps through a Torpedo Live at home for volume reasons, and explored speaker cabinet IRs. I A/B'd with a real cab and found that I could get very close to the sound of the real cab in the room with a decent IR and a bit of EQ. That allowed me to start A/B'ing real amps with amp models, and also to use an Axe II as a MFX with real amps. Even if you stick with your tube amps, the load box is a huge step forward.

Welcome! I have been a FAS user for over a decade! I come from Tube amps so well versed in that area. You should really like the FM! I will say that depending on how you are going to amplify it should be the next place you do your homework if you already haven't as it literally the other half of the system!

If you are an amp in the room sound kind of guy you will most likely want to run a power amp and guitar cab! FRFR is a really cool way to go as well, running cab I/R's opens up a lot of sonic possibilities and makes playing along with tracks a great option!

Good luck with your gear sales, hopefully the FM9 will suit your sonic needs!

Welcome! I have been a FAS user for over a decade! I come from Tube amps so well versed in that area. You should really like the FM! I will say that depending on how you are going to amplify it should be the next place you do your homework if you already haven't as it literally the other half of the system!

If you are an amp in the room sound kind of guy you will most likely want to run a power amp and guitar cab! FRFR is a really cool way to go as well, running cab I/R's opens up a lot of sonic possibilities and makes playing along with tracks a great option!

Good luck with your gear sales, hopefully the FM9 will suit your sonic needs!
I am using a Fryette Power Station with some of my tube amps. Apparently, this can also be used as a power amp into a cab for amp in the room type stuff. But it seems things can get a little tricky if you want to run to a cab, as well as FOH. Things such as power amp settings in your presets, settings on the Power Station, etc.

Back
Top Bottom