Abelton Users... Midi question

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
Hi guys. I have decided to give my vocal processing duties over to my Laptop. I used to run them through my Axe Fx but the extra CPU it required could be better used for guitar. Anyhoo... I am wondering if I can send midi signals from my RGM midi controller to Abelton via the Axe FX over USB. It would basically look like this:

RJM GT16 ----midi cable----- AXE FX-----usb cable------LAPTOP.

Just wondering if it might work like that? If so, what might I have to do to configure that?

Edit:
I've managed to get it to work by connecting the RJM directly to the Laptop via USB. I can switch effects on and off on Abelton using the RJM but I am trying to find a way of doing this as described above (via the Axe FX) so that I don't have to run a super long USB cable from my pedal board (front of stage) back to my Laptop (back of stage). Ideally I'd prefer to use the cables I am already using. Would love to have your help guys, Thanks.

It's been a feature request like forever, and I don't think it has been implemented.
Oh.... Shit..... :sleepy:

So the only way I'm going to be able to do this is to run a 7M USB cable to the back of the stage from the RJM tpo the Laptop?

Hi guys. I have decided to give my vocal processing duties over to my Laptop. I used to run them through my Axe Fx but the extra CPU it required could be better used for guitar. Anyhoo... I am wondering if I can send midi signals from my RGM midi controller to Abelton via the Axe FX over USB. It would basically look like this:

RJM GT16 ----midi cable----- AXE FX-----usb cable------LAPTOP.

Just wondering if it might work like that? If so, what might I have to do to configure that?

Edit:
I've managed to get it to work by connecting the RJM directly to the Laptop via USB. I can switch effects on and off on Abelton using the RJM but I am trying to find a way of doing this as described above (via the Axe FX) so that I don't have to run a super long USB cable from my pedal board (front of stage) back to my Laptop (back of stage). Ideally I'd prefer to use the cables I am already using. Would love to have your help guys, Thanks.
You'll have to do it through MIDI DIN cables, not USB. If you want to use USB, you'll have to connect the controller to the computer as you've described.

You'll have to do it through MIDI DIN cables, not USB. If you want to use USB, you'll have to connect the controller to the computer as you've described.
Ok well how would I get the Din cables into the Laptop? Currently I am running one midi cable between the RJM and the Axe FX and then another from the Axe Fx to another external effects loop switcher. Happy for any suggestions mate.

You're asking how to connect a midi cable to a computer? Any midi interface will do that for you.

Well I guess I could just an extra long USB cable so as to avoid having to add a midi interface but it will have to be at least 7m long which is the length of my cable loom. Not having mucvh luck finding a 7-8m (22-26ft) USB cable.

Agreed as over 2m USB will degrade and need attenuation if you want a good clear signal.

Midi can do a theoretical limit of 50 feet.

The only other option I can think of is USB via Ethernet or midi via Ethernet as Cat5e has a limit of 100m. Unsure if these need active connections to keep a good S/N ratio.

Back
Top Bottom