A little detour

phil92

Experienced
A few months ago I started this little detour and I have been playing it ever since. It’s somehow magical and delivers something I have been chasing with the Axe FX but haven’t been quite able to catch.
I think it started when I refined my Double Trouble preset. The amp sim is super close when compared with a line in, something is happening on the speaker side that keeps pulling me towards the Super.

IMG_6175.jpeg

Of course, the question always arises as to whether it is the FAS device, the IR, the speaker or the user and the settings. That's why it's always difficult to evaluate something like this.

Of course, the question always arises as to whether it is the FAS device, the IR, the speaker or the user and the settings. That's why it's always difficult to evaluate something like this.

I'm betting on the IR. But I'm not too concerned with finding that out, I just like playing this thing at the moment. In particular with the little Fuzz Face and the guitar volume rolled back to 3 or 4. Adds some really nice sparkle to the almost clean tone. Great for Lenny, little Wing and all that stuff. Only works when the SD-1 is on the board, though.

If it makes you happy... that's it!
Out of curiosity... how it handles the high output guitars and high gain tones? (I see some Petrucci's over there)

See my lolitude thread - though that exists because i like gear and deals vs not being able to nail something with the axefx.

Would you think that realistic cab and speaker modelling will happen someday?

Right now, using IR gives us the sound thru a microphone and not what we are hearing when playing in front of an amp. Very good for recording and for live shows (where microphones are used anyway). But not the same experience.

Modelers are very good. But a real amp in the room is a real amp in the room. Have fun :)

Would you think that realistic cab and speaker modelling will happen someday?

Right now, using IR gives us the sound thru a microphone and not what we are hearing when playing in front of an amp. Very good for recording and for live shows (where microphones are used anyway). But not the same experience.

Modelers are very good. But a real amp in the room is a real amp in the room. Have fun :)

I found the farfield IRs were already going a long way in that direction, but I think it's also a matter of multiple speakers (Weber 10A125 and 10F150 in my case) and how they're interacting

See my lolitude thread - though that exists because i like gear and deals vs not being able to nail something with the axefx.
yeah, I'm not trying to nail anything here, I think nailing a recorded guitar tone is actually easier with the Axe FX

Back
Top Bottom