A chronology of stuff in the box

sumitagarwal

Inspired
For the life of me I can't figure out why, but for going on a couple decades I've been fascinated by the years in which music hardware was released to market.

I suspect it has to do with the way it shaped and continues to shape genres. Arguably Marshall did as much to invent hard rock and metal as did any particular guitarist. Would new wave have been a new wave, or an extension of the old wave if not for the the chorus that became widely available in the late 70's? Maybe most obviously, would we have hip-hop without the DMX and TR-808, or would we have gotten some new kind of guitar or bass fronted genre out of Brooklyn in the 80's?

Anyway, for us guitarists the Fractal boxes are without a shadow of a doubt the best way to time travel not just to vague decades like "60's British preamp" but actual years. With that in mind I was hoping that with some collaborative work we could lay out a full chronological inventory of all the stuff we get for our ~$1000-$2200.

Kicking things off with a few things just to get the idea and format going, but ideally will plan on making this pretty comprehensive in the end:

1950's
[AMP] - Fender Bassman "59 Bassguy"

1960's
[AMP] - Marshall JTM-45 "Brit JM45" "Brit JM45 JUMP"
[CAB] - Mic - Shure SM57 "Dynamic 1"

1970's
[CAB] - Mic - Shure SM7 "Dynamic 2"
[CHO] - Chorus pedal - BOSS CE-2 "Japan CE-2"

1990's
[CAB] - Mic - Royer R-121 "Ribbon"

2010's
[CAB] - Mic - Soyuz 023 "Condenser"