8MA's for small club gigs?

First post here, and I have to say I'm very thankful that there's a great user community that is so generous with help and information.
After a month of reading posts and the manual, I finally pulled the trigger on a standard Axe-Fx. If it does half of what it think it will, I'll be thrilled. Now on to getting a cab.

Thanks to all the great information here and on TGP I've settled in on the FBT 8MA. I do have a couple of questions that I've not been able to find answers to:

*** I'm sure the 8MA will be great for self monitoring when in larger venues and running through the FOH, but in smaller venues, with another guitar, bass, drums, vocals, will this be able to cut it for the room without going through the FOH? Room size for these venues is pretty small, somewhere around a large coffee house to a small club. Couple hundred people tops in these venues.

***Would it be feasible to use two 8MAs for slightly larger rooms?

*** Should I be thinking about the 12MA instead? The light weight and size of the 8MAs are oh so very appealing!

*** Are most of you guys using stands for the 8MAs? For the 12MA.s

Thanks!

The 8ma alone ***MIGHT*** be loud enough to carry a small room, but I'd doubt it totally dependent on your drummer and band mates. I've done it with an acoustic setting: small room, drummer using hot rodz and/or brushes and it's been workable though not ideal. There isn't enough low end to carry a room with authority.

The 8ma as a pair. I don't have a pair, but you'd still be lacking a huge enough bottom end to realistically carry a room in a rock band IMHO. Speculation, but my opinion nonetheless.

12ma. I would consider it if I were you (because I am getting one and I am me!), but please please please remember the Verve series is designed as a personal monitor, NOT to carry a room. I've not yet got a 12ma, so again, only speculation... not fact.

Stands. Not for me please. The Verve series are designed as floor monitors for a reason. They are floor monitors. To press them into being FOH or guitar cab from stage substitutes to carry a room isn't the best use of them IMHO.

All strongly IMHO and YMMV.

Scott, many thanks for the reply. I appreciate your advice and I've learned tons by just reading through some of your posts.

I think I'm beginning to wrap my head around all of this. I do understand that the Verve series is really designed to be monitors. I was hoping to perhaps get double duty out of them. I'll definitely be picking up one of the 8MAs for monitor use and maybe use give them a shot sometime in the smaller rooms and rehearsals.

If one were in a small room situation where the stage volume wasn't to crazy, the drummer didn't hit too hard and only VOX and acoustic instruments were going FOH, what would you recommend as a good FRFR backline solution for the Axe-Fx to cover that sort of room? Or am I looking in the wrong direction with the FRFR stuff? It's funny, I've always been a tube amp kind of guy, but my favorite tones have come from recording in the box with plugins. I can't help but think I'd love the Axe with a powered FRFR cab! :mrgreen:

Edit: I should add to give a reference point that I'm a Pedal Steel player (think Robert Randolph, not Nashville/Country) and my standard rig as of late has been a Headstrong King Reverb for cleans and a Budda SDII 30 for dirt, both heads switched into a Port City 2x12 with Helatones and I usually don't get past 4 or 5 on the volume knob on these gigs.

Again thanks!

Scott Peterson said:
12ma. I would consider it if I were you (because I am getting one and I am me!), but please please please remember the Verve series is designed as a personal monitor, NOT to carry a room. I've not yet got a 12ma, so again, only speculation... not fact.
"m" in the 12ma refers to monitor as we know but what we don't know is that if it's referring just to the enclosure design or also to what use was the speaker designed for.

Based on the manual it can be used as monitor or as "FOH".
Verve Series Operation Manual about 12ma said:
With a multi-functional enclosure design, for full-range “front of house” speaker use or for musicians stage monitoring.

This may be a dumb question, but...

Even though most folks on here are using the Verve series as monitors, what exactly is it that makes them not ideal for PA usage? In other words, what is the difference between a monitor and a PA speaker? Looking at the specs of the 12ma, and comparing it to the specs of other "PA speakers", it seems it should have enough muscle to operate as a PA speaker.

Edit: On the FBT website, in the application section of the 12ma page, they first list it as a "Live Sound P.A. System". What gives?

Flip it up and use it for FOH. I don't like it for that application. Nothing stopping you from doing it.

Remember when I express my opinion, it's just my opinion. It's not facts to debate. IMHO and YMMV.

Scott Peterson said:
Flip it up and use it for FOH. I don't like it for that application. Nothing stopping you from doing it.

Remember when I express my opinion, it's just my opinion. It's not facts to debate. IMHO and YMMV.

Thanks for the info. BTW, I wasn't really pointing you out as I'm pretty sure I've heard other folks say the same thing about the Verve series.

Chad said:
This may be a dumb question, but...

Even though most folks on here are using the Verve series as monitors, what exactly is it that makes them not ideal for PA usage? In other words, what is the difference between a monitor and a PA speaker? Looking at the specs of the 12ma, and comparing it to the specs of other "PA speakers", it seems it should have enough muscle to operate as a PA speaker.

Edit: On the FBT website, in the application section of the 12ma page, they first list it as a "Live Sound P.A. System". What gives?
Off topic to 12ma
Its a dual purpose just like the QSC HPR122i. Used as a floor monitor or stick it on a pole and you got a nice little FOH pa.

"FBT Verve 12ma Active FOH Speaker/Floor Monitor "
A standard 1-3/8" speaker stand socket allows the Verve 12ma to be mounted on a speaker stand so it can also be utilized as a Front of House full range speaker.
&
"FBT Verve 8ma active 8" 2 way floor monitor "

Ive been in a situation where there isnt alot of room on this one gig. all i can do is bring one of my FBT Maxx2a's. Plenty of power and sounds great. Its a 10.

Back
Top Bottom