4CM, noise gate _after_ the inserted real amp's preamp

Ghost_of_Cain

Inspired
I'll have to wait for AX8 shipment to EU for another 2 weeks approx, but I'm wondering, how would I hook up things compared to my previous setups.

I will be connecting AX8 with EVH5150III 50W, 4cm, midi out/in, nothing fancy. In the times of PODHD500 I always liked to keep the real noise gate after the preamp (it was more complicated, as this was G-String alike, so it also was getting a direct input from the guitar - but nevermind). For me, it's mainly the EVH's preamp that requires the gate (ch red and blue), not the guitar's pickups and other things before the preamp.

So - did anyone used a Gate/Expander block after the FX loop in order to do such thing? What are the results? I suppose many AXE FX users have done that, but i think there will be a bit of a difference.

Anyhow - thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments - for ex. if in the theory Gate/Expander after the real preamp would do the work, how to manage it's levels/parameters while changing different channels, requiring different noise gate operation? Via scenes?

I had an FX8 for a while and I did put the gate block after the preamp (have not tried it with the AX8 yet) with good results. You can use set up two different settings for the gate block using X and Y and either change between them with scenes, or just by changing the XY status of the block.

From my experience with the FX8 and my amps, I did not need to set up different settings for different channels. But I'm more of a mid-gain player, not a high gain guy.

Thank you.

This below was one of my favourite rigs; more than enough for hobbyist and garage player who plays gigs twice a month (or once every 3 months sometimes ;-) but to be honest, taking the NG and hooking it up each time to POD was tiresome.. If I could get rid of it, and keep only AX8 in the board (well, maybe a pitchblack also ;-)) it would be nice :)

MGalleryItem.php

Back
Top Bottom