3rd party MIDI controller w/ 2 way Axe III communication & powered via USB (RJM LT, BJ Devices, any others?)

Tiger1016

Inspired
I am looking for MIDI foot switch controllers that are both 1) capable of being powered by a USB connection to a computer and 2) capable of two way communication, bidirectional communication, status syncing, etc. with the Axe Fx III.

So far, the only third party companies that I am aware of that offering foot controllers that have this communication capability with the Axe III are RJM, BJ Devices, Liquidfoot, Voodolab, and Voes.

I have done a lot of digging and the only two options that I have been able to come across so far that also check the box on power through USB is the RJM Mastermind LT (none of the other Masterminds are USB powered although they do have USB capabilities) and all of the BJ Devices options.

Are there any other options out there that might check both boxes? It is probably easier to just focus on other companies that offer the communication capability and I can just do the digging on the USB part.

Note, I REALLY wish the Morningstar MC6 MKII had the Axe III communication part down, but it appears it does not for the time being.

I have a secondary question relating to this, that I don’t want to bog the forum down with a separate thread on.

This relates to the scenario where you are sending MIDI to the Axe III through USB, rather than through the MIDI In on the back of the Axe, via a MIDI controller that is hooked up to a computer via USB.

In this configuration, should the MIDI devices that offer the two way, bidirectional, status syncing communication with the Axe Fx III still be able to offer this functionality when USB and a Windows PC is involved?

First, I realize that the Axe III does not send outbound MIDI communication messages via USB, so I would need to use the workaround of hooking up the MIDI Out from the Axe into my computer using one of the many MIDI to USB connection options out there.

Note, the reason for using the USB in this case rather than just hooking up the MIDI controller directly to the Axe is my use case will involve a wireless USB setup so I can leave my Axe in one room and still have full use of it in another room. In order to accomplish this, I will connect the Axe's USB to a wireless USB server (Silex DS-520AN https://www.silextechnology.com/connectivity-solutions/device-connectivity/ds-520an), which will allow me to wirelessly connect my laptop to my Axe to run Axe Edit, and I am looking to connect the MIDI controller to the laptop through USB so I can also wirelessly send the signals over to the Axe. At the end of the day, this should function the same exact was as if the Axe was directly hooked up to the computer via USB. If it is not possible to maintain the MIDI controllers bidirectional communication with the Axe in this configuration though, then I will need to rethink my plan (e.g. the next alternative would be to look into the BomeBox https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox).

Voodoo Labs controllers do not support bi-directional communication.

There is a forum member who does make an interface that allows that - @oson00.

I think he also does custom midi solutions so may have ideas about your 2nd post.

I think the Voes controllers are bi-directional but I'm not sure. @voes can confirm.

Voodoo Labs controllers do not support bi-directional communication.

There is a forum member who does make an interface that allows that - @oson00.

I think he also does custom midi solutions so may have ideas about your 2nd post.

I think the Voes controllers are bi-directional but I'm not sure. @voes can confirm.

Thanks for the input. If @oson00 or someone else was able to offer some kind of programming/translation solution for the BomeBox to allow virtually any MIDI controller to effectively have bidirectional MIDI communication capabilities with the Axe III that would create a universal solution that would open the doors for a lot more options for everybody.

Back
Top Bottom