2x12 cab question

LoPaN

Inspired
I’ve been running two Xitone FrFr wedges in stereo for a long time now powered by a Matrix GT1000 power amp. I recently acquired a Randall 2x12 V30 loaded guitar cab, the cab can be run in stereo or mono. Is it even worth running it in stereo? Or is mono better suited?

Well I did a quick test on my lunch break today and setting the AxeFx to sum L+R and the matrix poweramp to mono plus the cab switch set to mono was way better, much tighter sound, in stereo it was very congested especially in the low end. Come to think of it there’s no benefit to tuning a 2x12 in stereo as the speakers are so close together and share the same box.

I found that stereo results are situational. I am running a 2x12 in stereo and am enjoying it if I am staying in the sweet spot.

For a jam or a gig, a 2x12 is not likely to have the spread needed. Mono is a better option for sure.

Yeah, the lows want to fight with each other in the same box. I've tried it too full range and wasn't super-stoked. Works good as a effects satellite if you have the ability to run a mono cabinet under it and cut the lows to the 2X12.

Back
Top Bottom