1 amp, 2 cabs. Scenes will only take 4 channels -> Intended behaviour!

For anyone searching for presets that accomplish what was requested, at least what I think was requested, here are four different presets:
  1. Cabs in series - Bypass set to THRU.
  2. Cabs in parallel - Bypass set to MUTE.
  3. Cabs in parallel - Bypass set to THRU, the Multiplexer block is used to switch between cabs.
  4. Cabs in parallel - Bypass set to THRU, the Mixer block is used to switch between cabs.
They all behave the same, they're just wired differently.

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 1.37.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 1.37.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 1.37.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 1.38.15 PM.png

Organization is important when doing this. Look at the Scene Mgr grid for the scenes to see how the channels are ordered and each Cab is enabled/disabled. Open the Cab blocks to see how each cab is muted in turn.

It's interesting that the levels are pretty consistent except for scene 5, which uses Factory 2 cab 517, "4X12 Brit 70s GB 57 B", which is much less full, at least on my FX3. I dunno why that is but perhaps @Admin M@ knows. Maybe it was born that way.

The AMP block is pulled from @Burgs "8 Shades of Brown" preset and sounds massive with my semi-hollow.

Attachments

• Cab scene tests.zip
    14.6 KB · Views: 3
For anyone searching for presets that accomplish what was requested, at least what I think was requested, here are four different presets:
  1. Cabs in series - Bypass set to THRU.
  2. Cabs in parallel - Bypass set to MUTE.
  3. Cabs in parallel - Bypass set to THRU, the Multiplexer block is used to switch between cabs.
  4. Cabs in parallel - Bypass set to THRU, the Mixer block is used to switch between cabs.
They all behave the same, they're just wired differently.

View attachment 97223
View attachment 97224
View attachment 97225
View attachment 97226

Organization is important when doing this. Look at the Scene Mgr grid for the scenes to see how the channels are ordered and each Cab is enabled/disabled. Open the Cab blocks to see how each cab is muted in turn.

It's interesting that the levels are pretty consistent except for scene 5, which uses Factory 2 cab 517, "4X12 Brit 70s GB 57 B", which is much less full, at least on my FX3. I dunno why that is but perhaps @Admin M@ knows. Maybe it was born that way.

The AMP block is pulled from @Burgs "8 Shades of Brown" preset and sounds massive with my semi-hollow.
I will certainly try out your preset, although the subject got larger/bigger than I intended. I just wanted to know if I could use 8 different cabs with 1 amp. And wondered if the scene and channel where per scene or per channel. And resulted in only 4 usable CAB solutions due to amp noise or room/air stuff passing through. And I stumbled on the channel stuff and noticed that CAB1 and CAB2 where both following the channel situations and before that bypassing and cab would still give output from amp and/or room/air. For this the M-plex or mixer solution works best as amp sound and air will not be transferred into the signal!

The above will definitely be possible (multiplex and mixer) and it shows 4 possible idea's of how to solve it. The only thing I'm not sure of is the second version as bypassing will still give amp and room/air and did not result in a proper solution for my needs.

@Greg Ferguson: thanks for providing this complete overview that will help me, but also others. And as stated before, for me the subject is closed, especially with your attached files.

PS: the brit is indeed thinner sounding, but sometimes that is what you want in a mix. I always like to make starting presets per amp or situation and and have different sounds in one preset. Either to simulate a sound close to the original to practise or play with backing-tracks or Spotify. IR's are definitely a very big part of the perceived sound.

Again: thanks all for the feedback and idea's!

I will certainly try out your preset, although the subject got larger/bigger than I intended. I just wanted to know if I could use 8 different cabs with 1 amp. And wondered if the scene and channel where per scene or per channel. And resulted in only 4 usable CAB solutions due to amp noise or room/air stuff passing through. And I stumbled on the channel stuff and noticed that CAB1 and CAB2 where both following the channel situations and before that bypassing and cab would still give output from amp and/or room/air. For this the M-plex or mixer solution works best as amp sound and air will not be transferred into the signal!

The above will definitely be possible (multiplex and mixer) and it shows 4 possible idea's of how to solve it. The only thing I'm not sure of is the second version as bypassing will still give amp and room/air and did not result in a proper solution for my needs.

@Greg Ferguson: thanks for providing this complete overview that will help me, but also others. And as stated before, for me the subject is closed, especially with your attached files.

PS: the brit is indeed thinner sounding, but sometimes that is what you want in a mix. I always like to make starting presets per amp or situation and and have different sounds in one preset. Either to simulate a sound close to the original to practise or play with backing-tracks or Spotify. IR's are definitely a very big part of the perceived sound.

Again: thanks all for the feedback and idea's!
Put your cabs in parallel, set Bypass Mode to Mute. You don't require the Multplexer for this and muting the bypassed cab handles the issue with Air, etc...

Back
Top Bottom