Cool rundown! I have watched a few of their shows they have done recently and my only gripe is when they play the older tunes (High & Dry stuff) Phill and Viv use way too much gain for those tunes. It would sound so much better if they went for that mid to late 70's JMP mid gain voice, much more open sounding.

Everyone talking about how a lot of these III rundowns "NOTHING SOUNDS THE SAME WAY TOO MUCH GAIN" then the rundown shows that every guitar's stock pickup has been replaced by active pickups running at 36v :oops: :D

Everyone talking about how a lot of these III rundowns "NOTHING SOUNDS THE SAME WAY TOO MUCH GAIN" then the rundown shows that every guitar's stock pickup has been replaced by active pickups running at 36v :oops: :D
See I just don't get that if that's the deal then they should just do a quick guitar swop for those tunes!

Cool rundown! I have watched a few of their shows they have done recently and my only gripe is when they play the older tunes (High & Dry stuff) Phill and Viv use way too much gain for those tunes. It would sound so much better if they went for that mid to late 70's JMP mid gain voice, much more open sounding.
A lot of that has to do with guitarists losing their hearing over the years. More gain sounds better to their ears. And I say over the years, they feel like they can play better and cover their mistakes with more gain. This was a big thing with EVH. He started out playing a plexi on 10, and when he died, he was playing an amp with an ungodly amount of gain to where it just sounded like a cocked wah. I saw them live last month and I didn’t think there was a ton of gain. It’s probably just a JMP-1 OD1 model with the gain on 10 which is nothing compared to an 5150 IIIS or something like that. I think they actually had way more gain during the Adrenalize tour.

I hope they're not feeding 36v to their active pickups! 🧨

• Haha
Reactions: JTI
Well if it's a hearing thing then someone needs to let Phill and Viv know hey, your using too much gain for some of the classic stuff! I don't know what to say about the playing issue other than maybe more practice time IDK. To me it just seems if your running the Axe FX III with all that HP under the hood a quick preset and guitar change would make a world of difference for the show and to the listener!

I watched this last night. I don't like DL musically AT ALL but Vivian and Phil seemed super cool.

Just to be clear Im an old school DL fan! Anything after Pyro is to bubble gum for me.
I like bits and pieces from the first 3 albums. And I understand why they went the way they did. I don't mind a (good) stick of bubblegum here and there but I guess I prefer it in a different flavor :D

I am using the following YA IR's with great success in getting the Diamond Star Halos tone:

YA FDMN Blend Mix 13, FDMN Blend Mix 14, FDMN Blend Mix Fred and FDMN M25 121-2.

Translates real well with the JMP Preamp Sim and Friedman BE100.
Funny thing is they didn't use the Fractals on the new album

Back
Top Bottom