Amp model to complement a Deluxe Reverb in a classic rock mix?

Davus PG

Inspired
Any suggestions for an amp to complement a Fender Deluxe Reverb? I play in an Indie/Rock covers band and the other guitarist plays a 335 into the FDR model on his Helix ranging from clean to distorted with the help of a pedal. It makes for a very thick, mid heavy sound and I'm trying to find something that complements it, but can also be heard and cut through the mix - which sometimes can be a problem and I don't want to resort to just turning up. I think I need to dial my reverb right back as whilst I enjoy that at home, I suspect it's making me less prominent in the mix at gig levels

Best success I've had so far is with the ODS Ford, Urban Tweed & 50W Plexi, but with the new firmware I'm thinking of trying some other amps, so any suggestions of amps you know/think might work gratefully received.

Any suggestions for an amp to complement a Fender Deluxe Reverb? I play in an Indie/Rock covers band and the other guitarist plays a 335 into the FDR model on his Helix ranging from clean to distorted with the help of a pedal. It makes for a very thick, mid heavy sound and I'm trying to find something that complements it, but can also be heard and cut through the mix - which sometimes can be a problem and I don't want to resort to just turning up. I think I need to dial my reverb right back as whilst I enjoy that at home, I suspect it's making me less prominent in the mix at gig levels

Best success I've had so far is with the ODS Ford, Urban Tweed & 50W Plexi, but with the new firmware I'm thinking of trying some other amps, so any suggestions of amps you know/think might work gratefully received.
Question we might ask is what make/model guitar do you plan on putting through your amp? A single-coil will work well with the Keith Urban's 5F8 Tweed, a humbucker might be better utilized with the ODS Ford/50W Plexi. The reason for this is because Keith Urban's Tweed is naturally darker sounding (woolier and toned down). The ODS/Plexi might sound better with humbuckers because of the greater headroom.

Don't forget to check out the other Tweed amps in John Nathan Cordy's YT vid. Each has its own subtle flavor that might work better with a variety of guitar types (the way Cordy presents the Tweed amps.).

Last edited:
The ODS Ford model is really nice and is one of my favorites; I've been known to camp out on one preset using it for hours.

The Bludojai Clean and Lead are similar to the ODS Ford - I haven't had a chance to use the preset I wrapped around them on stage yet but I expect it to bloom like the ODS Ford does at stage volume.

The FAS Express grabbed my ear with the new update, and seems to have more depth than I remember.

Question we might ask is what make/model guitar do you plan on putting through your amp?

Ah yes, apologies.

Main guitars are a Suhr Pete Thorn with Thornbuckers and a Les Paul with Bare Knuckle humbuckers.

I've had considerable success with the Urban Tweed with the master volume cranked. I find that combined with use of the guitar's volume knob and drive block can go from clean to pretty mean.

AC30 cuts super well. Also 1959 SLP with greenbacks. Both clean up very well with guitar volume, and can also get aggressive.

The next question I'd ask is, how do you prefer your overdrive/distortion? Based on your initial statement, I'd guess that you prefer a smoother overdrive/gain structure, compared to a crunchier/grittier. Something just beyond EOB that sings overdrive-wise.

I. too, strive to find this elusive tone and have long sought it based on whatever amp de jour is making trendy waves. Call me a jazz purist regards the LC and RF mindset, but a singing pushed or lead amp is a joy. I enjoy JNC's videos for his playing style and excellent sense of what sounds good with his guitars. What I glean from his videos is his innate ear for dialing in tones that sound good, and presenting them to the public for our perusal. That being said, I also admire your choice of amps for the reasons stated.

Last edited:
Question we might ask is what make/model guitar do you plan on putting through your amp? A single-coil will work well with the Keith Urban's 5F8 Tweed, a humbucker might be better utilized with the ODS Ford/50W Plexi. The reason for this is because Keith Urban's Tweed is naturally darker sounding (woolier and toned down). The ODS/Plexi might sound better with humbuckers because of the greater headroom.

Don't forget to check out the other Tweed amps in John Nathan Cordy's YT vid. Each has its own subtle flavor that might work better with a variety of guitar types (the way Cordy presents the Tweed amps.).

Wow, great tone indeed, and tasty chops, wondering if you could possibly divulge your reverb and delay settings??? Thanks!

Wow, great tone indeed, and tasty chops, wondering if you could possibly divulge your reverb and delay settings??? Thanks!
IIRC, JNC uses a Gold Plate or Medium Room with about 12% Mix Level. Sparingly, just for a touch and not a wash of reverb. He'll also use a Stereo Tape or Warm Analog delay about 500ms with again the 11 to 14% Mix. These levels add just a touch of reverb/delay, right where you want them for a good mix...

Reactions: dnc
I'm in a 2-guitar pop cover band. Our other player uses another modeler - his tones tend to be on the heavy/thicker side. For us, what worked best is for me to use cleaner or edge of breakup tones. I've been going between a Twin and the new AC Brilliant models. I'm also using single coils since he's using humbuckers.

While I think everyone wants to play big sounds, for the sake of the music, that often doesn't make sense. Me and our other guitar player essentially have different roles and places in the sonic spectrum. We're also very conscious of what each of us is doing and hang back to avoid trampling over each others solos and parts.

It takes discipline - You don't want this to become a competition over sonic spectrum.... otherwise you and Mr. FDR are just going to be trampling over each other in the mix.

It takes discipline - You don't want this to become a competition over sonic spectrum.... otherwise you and Mr. FDR are just going to be trampling over each other in the mix.

I couldn't agree more.

Just back from a gig. I've ended up sticking with my tried and tested, but have dialed my reverb right back which made quite a difference.

These are the models I used, but it was either the Tweed or the ODS 80% of the time with amp boost and the Klone added if and when required

Urban Tweed
Plexi 50W
ODS Ford
Fas Brown

Our collective sound was huge :)

Back
Top Bottom