Buy home....only to change everything about it.......

Seems this is what we do, and are doing now. Someday I just want to build from scratch and have things perfect from the get go. Move in and enjoy. Seems stu[id to pay for something and then demolish most of it.
Building from scratch by direct comparison is far more expensive than renovating an existing structure.

You would have to purchase the land, connect to the grid, leaching field, septic, landscape, and foundation. That would be before even one mail was driven into a piece of wood.

Not to mention dealing with zoning and scheduling contractors.

This is why the preferred option is to buy something close or exactly what you want and remold as needed.

Why are you remolding your home?

Building from scratch by direct comparison is far more expensive than renovating an existing structure.

You would have to purchase the land, connect to the grid, leaching field, septic, landscape, and foundation. That would be before even one mail was driven into a piece of wood.

Not to mention dealing with zoning and scheduling contractors.

This is why the preferred option is to buy something close or exactly what you want and remold as needed.

Why are you remolding your home?
Not disagreeing. But unless you build from scratch, there are always compromises. Remodeled kitchen and now doing bathrooms

Not disagreeing. But unless you build from scratch, there are always compromises. Remodeled kitchen and now doing bathrooms
This goes without saying but you can choose which areas to address first and absorb the cost and inconvenience in smaller doses.
*so long as the area of contention is not causing an unhealthy living condition needing immediate intervention.

Building a new home is ideal but not accessible to most and that is the answer to your question.

Well....I differ as I am a long time guitar tech. I mainly build my own with Warmoth. So it is kind of same concept with home from scratch....though a tad less expensive to do than a home!
No company has gotten more of my money than Warmoth.

Plus, with building a new home in the manner you're describing, you get to pay 2 mortgages/rents/construction loans for a period of time, one of which increases as the project nears completion.

I've worked for builders who were months behind schedule, and the customers were LIVID! Even on projects where the clients did a major renovation, to the point where they couldn't live in the house, and they're paying 2 notes. It's not easy.

Seems this is what we do, and are doing now. Someday I just want to build from scratch and have things perfect from the get go. Move in and enjoy. Seems stu[id to pay for something and then demolish most of it.
Expect twice the cost and double the time of what you think it will be when doing new construction. Pre and post covid are two different realities. Also, no matter how careful you are in choosing quality plumbing, electrical, appliances etc... many things will be ready for replacement in a short few years, the survivors will look dated.

Just wait until we are all running flammable refrigerant in our a/c, heat-pumps and refrigeration equipment starting next year... I believe the price will be at least double and riddled with problems. Physics tells us we can't get more out than we put in - green energy doesn't find a way around those laws of reality (it's labeled green because of $$$).

I never mentioned cost, but you all do. I am 46 and not a young man just starting out. I know the costs and I know that things will want to change over time. As is EVERYTHING is a compromise and I have to do major rehauls. Done plenty and just saying my next house I will build from scratch. Costs be damned.....

I never mentioned cost, but you all do. I am 46 and not a young man just starting out. I know the costs and I know that things will want to change over time. As is EVERYTHING is a compromise and I have to do major rehauls. Done plenty and just saying my next house I will build from scratch. Costs be damned.....
What’s the issue? Why are you remolding your new house?

"I LOVE this location! The schools are great, it's an easy commute, and it's in a cul de sac. But the kitchen is small, and we want a screen porch."
"Well, you can change those 2 things for about $150k, but you won't find any building lots with those 3 things you like in this county."

What’s the issue? Why are you remolding your new house?
Not new. 10 years old. Owned from new. Done a lot to it. I grew up in a 1924 wooden 3500 sq ft house. I was an only child, dad doctor, dad also super do anything from wiring circuit boards to pouring concrete and all in between. Had the money, skills and tenacity to do it all. Which meant I helped! Lol! So I would like to eliminate the initial bullshit. Yes things change and ideals change.....but old enough to know what I want and like.

Back
Top Bottom