Besides performing live how do you guys get people to discover you in your city?

dsouza

Experienced
Any of you entrepreneurs?

Besides performing live how do you get people to discover and find you on the internet without paying for SEO crap?

Anyone know if old fashioned ways like business cards are really effective?

Social media seems to be ok but only people online will know you... When you walk down the street of your city no one will.

go to people and tell them
I can't tell if you're being serious or joking.

At a concert venue where you're performing it may work.

If you're not performing at a venue, say you visit a bar , I find people are more competitive. Just as they see a business card as arrogance these days.

Perhaps you live in a very small social town. Toronto Canada is kinda lonely. People here don't mingle with strangers as easily in the big city.

Personally I'm beginning to think one must convey their status as a musician whose popular through the way they dress and look!

People should be thinking that's a celebrity as soon as they see you not because you tell them.

80's was glam. Slash conveyed his image through leather and alcohol and a gibson guitar. In todays world musicians are more like sober people who connect their guitars to their computers to record and do everything the computer way. Guitarists are more like I.T people. lol

Ever see Bono in ZOOTV with the black leather outfit and goggles? Yeah that's a celebrity even before he opens his mouth.

I can't tell if you're being serious or joking.

At a concert venue where you're performing it may work.

If you're not performing at a venue, say you visit a bar , I find people are more competitive. Just as they see a business card as arrogance these days.

Perhaps you live in a very small social town. Toronto Canada is kinda lonely. People here don't mingle with strangers as easily in the big city.

Personally I'm beginning to think one must convey their status as a musician whose popular through the way they dress and look!

People should be thinking that's a celebrity as soon as they see you not because you tell them.

80's was glam. Slash conveyed his image through leather and alcohol and a gibson guitar. In todays world musicians are more like sober people who connect their guitars to their computers to record and do everything the computer way. Guitarists are more like I.T people. lol

Ever see Bono in ZOOTV with the black leather outfit and goggles? Yeah that's a celebrity even before he opens his mouth.
do that then.

You can't put style over substance. Slash, Bono, Elton John, etc., etc., they all had the goods to back it up. Worry about producing a product that people want.

business cards with a QR or at least easy website link to your socials is the best in most situations. people aren't going to take the time to open instagram etc. find your profile, then remember it later.

yes they can lose a card, but it's better than them saying "oh your name is ____ on insta? ok i'll find it later." they never do.

the people who actually have the gigs do not lose the cards.

B can't put style over substance. Slash, Bono, Elton John, etc., etc., they all had the goods to back it up. Worry about producing a product that people want.
This has got to be the best response. Honestly I think the fastest way to get people onto one's social media or website is to either perform or teach music. During a gig you can throw in a brief plug about who you are and what you can offer (Digital downloads, YT music lessons , etc).

As your audience grows from performing or teaching your traffic will increase as will word of mouth about who you are.

Approach the "right" people like club owners, and other bands members, offer them demo "tapes" (a memory stick) and leave with THEM a contact info business card (QR code or not).
These are the people that they remember you when THEY need it and eventually include you in a gig.
On a gig, come with the right equipment, good cables and act professionally, do your thing and hope for the best. :cool:
That's what I would do to have the rest of the people listening to my genre discover me.
That, and rent a 30 sec spot on the big screens in Dundas Square every hour for a month... :D

I know you said no SEO... but Facebook ads. Especially when in other towns. They cost, but they work.

Last edited:
IMHO there's no magic bullet, and no guarantees. You perform as much as possible. You promote online everywhere. You present the public with a "product" that catches their attention (and how to do that?). You spend wisely money where it needs to be spent. Look to those in your area who ARE doing well, and study them to see what they have going on that you don't. Just like the meme of the boyfriend checking out the other girl. You need to become "the other girl" that steals "the boyfriend's" attention (the boyfriend being: other musicians, music biz movers & shakers, and audiences). Without this upper hand IMHO you're dead in the water.

1713360042351.png

Nobody out there handing anyone something for nothing. You have to go for it, and earn it, and prove you're worthy of that which you aspire.

It's been a long time so, I don't know. Go to where music is played live. Introduce yourself to musicians, especially those who play your instrument. Be nice, not arrogant. Let them know how musch you like their music/playing. Go to their shows repeatedly. If you have product give it to them. If possible start a band. Post videos on your youtube channel and social media. Get gigs. Don't wait for someone to call you. Call them and get guys to play with you. Play live, if you're good. If not, get good! Call people and try to get them to your shows. Have merch. Give a lot away mainly so they'll remember your name or the bands. Rinse, repeat. But mainly you have to be good enough for people to take notice.

Only twitch but I broke my right leg and tore my quadriceps just 7 weeks ago...Had surgery...Just learning to walk again without crutches.

Also since I can't give up my musical career I purchased a nice executive chair which is super comfortable for me to sit down and play for much longer than I could standing. I just started playing a few days ago after a 6.5 week stoppage.

I don't know how long it will be until I can bear weight on the legs from something like a 10 lb LP for 2 hrs straight everyday in order to stand up and play.. I mean after surgery my knee could go again. I will have to be careful. I may never get my leg 100% again but I hope to be able to get back to the gym and drive again by the 4-6 month range and eventually be able to stand up and play!

In the meantime I focus on what's most important. And that is music and having fun playing during my recovery.

Have you done an open mic yet?

This.

I play in the 'house band' at a local open mic, and I love when people come in with original songs that they're working on and want a real band to back them up. Often for the first time outside their bedroom. I've gotten a bunch of session work at local (and remote) studios just from being the 'guy they played with', and then those sessions turn into albums, and those albums get promoted by the artists, and someone else hears it and says "I liked what you did on __'s album, interested in playing on mine?"....and so on.

But - I'm nearly never - nor do I really want to be - the name on the marquee. For me the bigger joy is to help people get their music realized and support them as they grow, and also grow my own reputation in the studio/recording/hired gun scene. The Steve Lukather and Tim Pierce side of things. I love playing live and do so several times per week, and that's a big part of getting recognition, but one good referral from a studio goes a long way too.

As far as 'looking the part' and walking in expecting celebrity status just by mere presence - the people who do that are ridiculously easy to spot and turns me off immediately from taking them seriously. Just IMO.

Not sure if you’re in the USA or not, but this has been fruitful for me in the past. I only use the free part. There is a premium pay part that gives a lot more functionality and features that will get your name out there on larger scale.

https://www.bandmix.com/

This is my somewhat pitiful profile due to bad genes…lol But give an idea of what you can do.
https://www.bandmix.com/prsguy513/

Back
Top Bottom