Does the FM3 have enough CPU Horsepower for me?

Ok, for the 2 amps.. nothing to do with the FM3..
For the Kronos you can use Input 2 on the FM3 by selecting "stereo" in the config

View attachment 138548
Excellent thanks for pointing that out! I’m not totally sold on the fm3 yet I’ve been oscillating between it or the FM9. And if my brain is following along correctly you do not need to use an amp or cab block? Just effect and out will work?

Excellent thanks for pointing that out! I’m not totally sold on the fm3 yet I’ve been oscillating between it or the FM9. And if my brain is following along correctly you do not need to use an amp or cab block? Just effect and out will work?
Yep, there are no constraints on the grid! The only "mandatory" block is the "Out" if you want to hear something

Yep, there are no constraints on the grid! The only "mandatory" block is the "Out" if you want to hear something
That makes the FM3 more appealing along with a six button controller maybe. The ultimate goal is the fxiii so those two now would leave me in a position to add one in a year or two and have a viable foot switch already in place to use.

That makes the FM3 more appealing along with a six button controller maybe. The ultimate goal is the fxiii so those two now would leave me in a position to add one in a year or two and have a viable foot switch already in place to use.
FM9 adds significant I/O and provides both out and in with the S/PDIF RCA connections. I like the form factor of the FM3, but I also like being able to gang my FM9 and AxeFX together for more elaborate setups.

FM9 adds significant I/O and provides both out and in with the S/PDIF RCA connections. I like the form factor of the FM3, but I also like being able to gang my FM9 and AxeFX together for more elaborate setups.
what do you mean by gang the two together? If they are chainable somehow using the fm9 or3 buttons for the fxiii that would be incredible. I have the go ahead to buy one provided the wife gets a new iMac. So we are in negotiations on time frames. If it wasn’t for the size of the fm3 I would be tempted to go straight to the axe fxiii but a foot controller wouldn’t be in the cards just to high with a computer on the table as well. I mean I could use the front panel and the editor but no buttons would be limiting I think for six months or so. Why are these choices so hard!

The amp models are accurate in sound and feel, but how you monitor matters. When you run direct you’re recreating the sound of a mic on a guitar cab in another room, i.e. pretty much every recorded guitar tone you’ve ever heard, monitored through whatever speakers you’re using. But no modeler can magically transform headphones, cheap plastic speakers, or even good studio monitors into a cranked 412 guitar cab in the room with you. If you want the fractal unit to sound like that you’ll need to bypass the cab block and run it into a good power amp and a cranked 412 guitar cab in the room with you.
I agree. If you have a properly treated room and good monitors you will get fantastic results with any of the fractal gear. The Fm9 is better for recording as it has better usb support. I recently upgraded from fm3 to fm9 and the convenience of the 9 buttons, the extra features, and the extra capacity have made me even happier.

I agree. If you have a properly treated room and good monitors you will get fantastic results with any of the fractal gear. The Fm9 is better for recording as it has better usb support. I recently upgraded from fm3 to fm9 and the convenience of the 9 buttons, the extra features, and the extra capacity have made me even happier.
I have QSC K10 speakers or amp tube amp external cabs. 4x12 triple xxx cab and a 2x12 with Weber blue for silver bell another two 1230-55 and one alnico 2x12 with 15watt silver bell and grey wolf. Will fractal work well into the Fryette PS100 to the actual guitar cabs or is it better with the QSC avoiding the PS100 and guitar cabs completely?

Last edited:
I have both a 3T and a 9T. They both are really fantastic!
I can do a bit more with the 9 but in reality for me, I am able to get a wah, phase, flanger, vibe, econo reverb, amp, dyna cab, pitch and delay with no issues and about 10% cpu to spare. For some of the songs in our set we drop the pitch so I made a duplicate preset to the next slot and just moved the pitch from behind the amp to the first position for the virtual capo setting. Works and sounds great!

I have QSC K10 speakers or amp tube amp external cabs. 4x12 triple xxx cab and a 2x12 with Weber blue for silver bell another two 1230-55 and one alnico 2x12 with 15watt silver bell and grey wolf. Will fractal work well into the Fryette PS100 to the actual guitar cabs or is it better with the QSC avoiding the PS100 and guitar cabs completely?
I try to keep the volume between 80-85db when playing. Bookshelf Frfr do a great job at that volume or a bit louder. Also, you have access to a world/variety of speaker irs to go with the 100s of amp models.

If you have a big room you may want to enjoy your guitar speakers. But be careful you don’t overpower them. I have an old hifi tube amp (18w) i have used with guitar speakers and it was fun. I also used it to drive a celestion f12-x200 and enjoyed that as well.

The FM3 + FC6 = not far from the FM9. You might find you don’t need the Axe if you have the FM9.

what do you mean by gang the two together? If they are chainable somehow using the fm9 or3 buttons for the fxiii that would be incredible. I have the go ahead to buy one provided the wife gets a new iMac. So we are in negotiations on time frames. If it wasn’t for the size of the fm3 I would be tempted to go straight to the axe fxiii but a foot controller wouldn’t be in the cards just to high with a computer on the table as well. I mean I could use the front panel and the editor but no buttons would be limiting I think for six months or so. Why are these choices so hard!
The FCs and buttons control one or the other, so some amount of planning and MIDI PC change savvy is necessary, but yes, I connect them with S/PDIF cables and the AxeFx works as a back end rack rig and the FM9 as my portable pedal rig. You could do similar with the FM3, but it lacks the secret sauce on the input, and only provides "out" on the S/PDIF. Not a setup for everyone, but I like how it provides a bit of future proofing. Cheers, D

I have come to the conclusion that it's foolish to expect a modeler to sound like my 100 watt Friedman BE 100 Deluxe that runs wet/dry/wet with 3 cabs. 2 different beasts all together.

When I mic up my cabs and run them into my mixer, it is the most glorious sound I can think of. Problem is, it's a pain in the ass, loud, extremely expensive.

For my silent rig, I'm very happy with the FM3, but it's a totally different experience and sound compared to my tube rig.

Back
Top Bottom