How do I use outboard in fx loop with the digital connectors?

Gadget

Inspired
I am looking to use an external processor in an fx loop of the AF3.

I want to use the spdif digital i/o, so I have therefore connected AF3 spdif out --> outboard processor spdif in, and vice versa. AF3 clock is set to internal and the outboard is clocking to it fine at 48KHz.

For info, all I have connected otherwise is headphones / studio monitors on outputs 1, and USB being used only for Axe Edit.

The question is, how do I configure (a) the AF3's global settings, and then (b) incorporate the loop into a preset? (I had a go, but ended-up with some kind of feedback loop).

Just set the source for the appropriate input block to digital, set the digital input source to spdif, and set the spdif out source to the appropriate output block. Post your preset if you need help eliminating feedback problems.

Last edited:
I/O: Audio menu

Digital Input Source: SPDIF
SPDIF/AES Out Source: Output 2
Input 2/3/4 Source (choose one, note that this precludes using the same-numbered analog input pair in any preset): Digital

Output 2 and the Input block # you chose will be the loop send/return. There's a one-row example using Out/In 3 in the manual (Inserting Outboard Gear) but you can save a column like this and still bypass the loop by bypassing the input block:

loopstack.png

That looks fine. You can check the meters page of the main screen if you want to confirm you're getting the expected i/o. Are you saying you have a feedback problem?

Looking again, I think it's a level matching issue rather than feedback, coupled with the fact that my outboard is still set for kill-dry.

I've modified the above preset as shown below, to allow for a dry-thru (I did try the trick you suggested @Bakerman but I couldn't get it to work right with dry-thru?)

However, the level matching is proving challenging, as the signal to the outboard isn't even tickling its input meters, whilst the return signal is extremely hot.

Thanks for the help. More experimentation required...

archon2.jpg

Your Out 2 block's main level control is at -25 dB there. Increase that for more level at Out 2.

With the dry-thru approach you can save a couple columns like this:

loopnodry.png

Looking again, I think it's a level matching issue rather than feedback, coupled with the fact that my outboard is still set for kill-dry.

I've modified the above preset as shown below, to allow for a dry-thru (I did try the trick you suggested @Bakerman but I couldn't get it to work right with dry-thru?)

However, the level matching is proving challenging, as the signal to the outboard isn't even tickling its input meters, whilst the return signal is extremely hot.

Thanks for the help. More experimentation required...

Regardless of whether you're using an fx loop or not, it's important to adjust preset output levels to ensure a peak somewhere around 0 dB VU. You can use the output 2 block meter on the Axe-FX to help when adjusting that, or use the preset leveling tool in Axe-Edit. Once you do that, you'll have a good digital output signal strength for the send.

The same goes for the return. If the return signal is clipping, adjust the level in the gear in the loop to avoid that.

Back
Top Bottom