Metallica: Elton’s Funeral for a Friend

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is arguably one of the Greatest Albums ever made. 🤘

Yes it was a great record. I bought it as a gift for my mom long ago. In Redlands Ca in the 80’s there was a bar band that played Funeral for a Friend. It blew my mind that they played that and a great job too. I’ll never forget that. Definitely my favorite EJ song.

Just caught this and came to post it. One of my favorite songs and albums. I’m really impressed. They did it big time justice in their own way and James nailed the vocals. They all nailed it and the Wah actually works in this context.

Here is a cleaner version from the feed, This has always been my favorite EJ song and album. When we were driving to my Dad's Funeral this came on the radio and it needed as we parked.

In 5 years Papa Het will become Paul Tuttle Sr. No idea how I didn't see this coming.

Orange County Choppers GIF by Jenny SuShe

Can I just say how criminally underrated Davey Johnstone is as a guitar player. Those
guitar licks and riffs we have all been humming for 50 years. He wrote them. Genius!

Legend! 💖
Yes, you can say it. I agree.
So much of EJ's work has genius guitar parts that are so subtle, but vital to the songs.
Davey Johnstone was one of Alice Cooper's guitarists on the '79 tour and Davey was just fabulous. I didn't know what to expect but he blew me away.

I dont think they switch to analog for a one time show. I guess they only rely on their new setup except for studio recordings.

It kinda sounded like a rotary wah/phaser. Definitely very interesting and cool
So are you thinking it was Fractal like I was? I don’t follow Metallica enough, but was pretty sure I remember hearing they have been using AxeFX’s. I was thinking that while it was a simple combination of FX it had that extra presence, depth and clarity that only Fractal seems to have. Well beside other very high end and expensive dedicated FX units.

Actually all of the guitar’s amp tones sounded great.

Can I just say how criminally underrated Davey Johnstone is as a guitar player. Those
guitar licks and riffs we have all been humming for 50 years. He wrote them. Genius!

Legend! 💖
Most definitely! That is what immediately always caught my ear with all of EJ’s early material. Not overly flashy but extremely perfect.👍

Back
Top Bottom