Anyone still using a tube amp?

I´ve provided quite a lot of material, which verifies my own findings, but as I wrote, feel free to have your own opinion, all good ;-)

I´ve provided quite a lot of material, which verifies my own findings, but as I wrote, feel free to have your own opinion, all good ;-)

I don’t think subjective opinions, including my own, “verifies” anything, but sure lol. The only thing verifiable, is that there ISNT anything verifiable pointing to those speakers being “different” during those years : as evidenced by celestion and Mesa themselves.

I don’t think subjective opinions, including my own, “verifies” anything, but sure lol. The only thing verifiable, is that there ISNT anything verifiable pointing to those speakers being “different” during those years : as evidenced by celestion and Mesa themselves.
Cool, but my 2002 cab is still mmmmmmhmmm...yummy :)

Dude and I have no doubts it sounds great! Totally believe you on that. I’m just saying, there’s many reasons for that, but special years isn’t one of them :)
yup, I´m just super lucky, and coincidentally, the guys in the videos have the same luck as me. that´s amazing ! :)

Well don’t worry, it’s settled. After all, someone posting 2 cabinets and micing them, one from 01 and one from 08 PROVES everything! And on top that, it’s also considered “research” :) :lol
Nolly has probably more experience than most folks on all forums combined,.I would rather believe him and MY OWN experience, rather then some random guy with opposite opinion. in the end, it doesn’t matter, it it works for ya, more power to you ;)

Last edited:
Nolly has probably more experience than most folks on all forums combined,.I would rather believe him and MY OWN experience, rather then some random guy with opposite opinion ;) in the end, it doesn’t matter, it it works for ya, more power to you.

Of course, and I grew up with 2 guys who are arguably more influential in producing modern metal records than just about anyone except colin Richardson and Andy sneap. I’ll listen to them, and my own experience as well. But, YOU are the one who posted some random dude micing a whopping 2 cabinets to justify your opinion as a fact. I watched the guys at audiohammer mic up 50 of the same type of speaker ( Marshall G12 vintage) for a record…yes, FIFTY. To find the best one for the vibe they wanted. All in the same cabinet, all in the same position, all different years. The differences were mind boggling. And it didn’t matter the year. Now, the Marshall celestion vintage is not a v30, and in my opinion is more consistent overral than a typical English V30. But the fact remains, the speakers were all WILDLY different. And if you’ve mic’d up a few cabinets in your life, surely you know this. It’s a lottery. There is no magic year. There is no magic voodoo. There are great sounding speakers, and not so great sounding, regardless of the year of the v30.

But, people will continue to listen to the talking heads on YouTube for confirmation bias. Atleast you didn’t post the glenn fricker video, the one that almost got his ass sued by celestion themselves :) .

Ironically, my tongue in cheek comment about the block letter 5150; there IS actually tangible evidence to suggest the “block letter” version is “better” than the signature. although it’s minor and irrelevant, it’s still more ACTUAL concrete tangible evidence than there is on these godlike v30s from 01-03.

Of course, and I grew up with 2 guys who are arguably more influential in producing modern metal records than just about anyone except colin Richardson and Andy sneap. I’ll listen to them, and my own experience as well. But, YOU are the one who posted some random dude micing a whopping 2 cabinets to justify your opinion as a fact. I watched the guys at audiohammer mic up 50 of the same type of speaker ( Marshall G12 vintage) for a record…yes, FIFTY. To find the best one for the vibe they wanted. All in the same cabinet, all in the same position, all different years. The differences were mind boggling. And it didn’t matter the year. Now, the Marshall celestion vintage is not a v30, and in my opinion is more consistent overral than a typical English V30. But the fact remains, the speakers were all WILDLY different. And if you’ve mic’d up a few cabinets in your life, surely you know this. It’s a lottery. There is no magic year. There is no magic voodoo. There are great sounding speakers, and not so great sounding, regardless of the year of the v30.

But, people will continue to listen to the talking heads on YouTube for confirmation bias. Atleast you didn’t post the glenn fricker video, the one that almost got his ass sued by celestion themselves :) .

Ironically, my tongue in cheek comment about the block letter 5150; there IS actually tangible evidence to suggest the “block letter” version is “better” than the signature. although it’s minor and irrelevant, it’s still more ACTUAL concrete tangible evidence than there is on these godlike v30s from 01-03.
I’m super lucky then and that’s what’s important. to me, it doesn’t really matter, that these mentioned folks have same luck as me with cabs being from that same era. It’s win-win for everyone :)

Last edited:
I thought this was settled… didn’t this video basically take care of it?

Cheers! I made that video and have briefly looked through this thread here. My two cents are:
Speakers are indeed a lottery. The tolerance is pretty large even within the same batch of cones. At the same time, the speakers made between 2000 and 2003 generared noticeably lower sound pressure levels between 5 to 6 kHz than the other years I tested. Out of the 53 speakers I had in the test, about a dozen or so (can't remember the exact number) were from that "golden age" period and they all had lower SPL in that frequency range. There was an undeniably pattern. I believe something about the cones was different for a few years back then.
Anyway, doesn't really matter at the end. If your speaker sounds good to you, that's all that matters. Plenty of great recording have been made with V30s from different eras and different sounding doesn't mean better sounding.

Thomas Obester said:
I like my real amps/cabs.
It’s always good to have some sound reference you can come back to :)
Btw, this mesa OS cab is really special, from 2002 and I still can’t find an IR that comes close ;)

View attachment 137296

Hi, you two, what's in that cab? 12-30h's, or V30's, or MC90's? ALSO , since you two have the bestest sounding Mesa OS, you should make the best IR's for it and publish them! :) Out of all the massive amounts of gear I own or have owned, I've never owned any Mesa 4x12 and I always hear such great stuff about them particularly the OS. . Some of the 4x12 OS Ir's that are on the net or Tonocracy, etc are my favorites too :)
@MirrorProfiles has a really good IR pack of one of these cabs.

https://mirrorprofiles.myshopify.com/products/cali-os-2002-cabinet-ir-pack

I’m going with a Revv G50 - Mesa 120w 2x12 - FM9
Using the FM9 for effects in 4cm
Sidelined the Mission Engineering Gemini 2P with 800w SS Crowne amp
I have previously powered the 2P with Seymour Duncan power station 170 - fryette ps2 (6L6 power tubes with 12ax7) - Orange pedal baby 100w
Too many adjustments for my ocd, chasing tone digitally.
Hopefully the G50 and the V30’s will cover all the tones I am looking for.
I will be interested in hearing how that goes for you… I have been intrigued by the G50 as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom