Anyone still using a tube amp?

Actually we restart a band we had with the drummer and our new singer and bassist just discovered today at our 3rd rehearsal I was not using a tube Amp haha. But before they joined us we send them some examples of our former songs and actually did not need any other arguments (axe fx 2 in those days, but did not get worse with FM3...) sorry for the tripping on the guitar, our singer Marco insisted a lot on having much solos.

The pick attack is spot on haha

I still have a couple EVH 50w amps (stealth head and 6L6 combo) and a Peavey Vypyr 60. I almost never use them these days but have been getting a bit of an itch to plug into one of them again.

Thomas Obester said:
I like my real amps/cabs.
It’s always good to have some sound reference you can come back to :)
Btw, this mesa OS cab is really special, from 2002 and I still can’t find an IR that comes close ;)

View attachment 137296

Sweet! I have the same cab from the same year. It's amazing.

Hi, you two, what's in that cab? 12-30h's, or V30's, or MC90's? ALSO , since you two have the bestest sounding Mesa OS, you should make the best IR's for it and publish them! :) Out of all the massive amounts of gear I own or have owned, I've never owned any Mesa 4x12 and I always hear such great stuff about them particularly the OS. . Some of the 4x12 OS Ir's that are on the net or Tonocracy, etc are my favorites too :)

Thomas Obester said:
I like my real amps/cabs.
It’s always good to have some sound reference you can come back to :)
Btw, this mesa OS cab is really special, from 2002 and I still can’t find an IR that comes close ;)

View attachment 137296

Hi, you two, what's in that cab? 12-30h's, or V30's, or MC90's? ALSO , since you two have the bestest sounding Mesa OS, you should make the best IR's for it and publish them! :) Out of all the massive amounts of gear I own or have owned, I've never owned any Mesa 4x12 and I always hear such great stuff about them particularly the OS. . Some of the 4x12 OS Ir's that are on the net or Tonocracy, etc are my favorites too :)
mine has Mesa v30’s from may 16, 2002, so pretty much golden era of mesa v30’s (2001-2003).
I’ve found IR that sounds extremely close to my cab - Legacy cab German 4x12 boutique ;)

Last month I sold my AFIII after a year and bought a Mesa MK VII combo. I kinda miss the AFIII but know that I can sell the MKVII anytime and buy another new unit from Cliff should I so decide.
The modeling is so damn close but I had trouble stopping the fiddling and just playing. If the AFIV ever releases there’s a decent chance I’ll sell something and get back in but for now I’m loving the MKVII to bits.

Last month I sold my AFIII after a year and bought a Mesa MK VII combo. I kinda miss the AFIII but know that I can sell the MKVII anytime and buy another new unit from Cliff should I so decide.
The modeling is so damn close but I had trouble stopping the fiddling and just playing. If the AFIV ever releases there’s a decent chance I’ll sell something and get back in but for now I’m loving the MKVII to bits.
Out of curiosity, does the MK VII have a way to footswitch to all 9 channel modes, or just between the 3 channels, each in whatever mode they're set to?

Out of curiosity, does the MK VII have a way to footswitch to all 9 channel modes, or just between the 3 channels, each in whatever mode they're set to?
Footswitch options are: Channel (1,2,3), reverb, eq, effects loop. The modes, unfortunately, aren’t included but
you can setup Fat and Crunch on channels 1 or 2. Not quite the same as switching between a mkiib, mkiic+, and mk iv but it’s something.

This is why I've gone down the Synergy route with fryette poweramp and I'm playing more and I don't have to worry about amp updates - I'm still using the FM3 for IR's and effects.
I could buy an Axe3 but as soon as I do that they will prob announce the axe 4 - I bought the Ax8 and a week later the axe 3 was released :D

well, I owned half dozen of mesa cabs and it exactly corelates with research these guys made, but feel free to have your own opinion, all good ;)

I’m quite aware, and have talked to Nolly about this many, many times. The reality is, speakers are a lottery, period, end of story. This is why I don’t mind having multiple impulses of the same speaker due to the inherent nature of speakers, they are all different. However, there is no “magic” year. I’ve heard great new ones and great old ones. I’ve heard terrible new ones and even more terrible old ones. My 2 closest friends at audiohammer studios who have done arguably the most influential metal records of the last 20 years? A 2008(gasp) and 2011 mesa recto cab more often than not…yet, somehow people are now gun how on this notion that there is some magic voodoo in the 2001-2003 v30s. What’s even more interesting, is there is ZERO proof of this in the tangible world, only subjective adjectives for those years.

Buy a bunch of the same speaker, keep the ones you like. This is what the big boys do. I love Nolly and respect him and talk to him often, but I don’t agree with it at all. Speakers are a lottery, and if you go chasing certain years of v30s, I’m quite sure it’ll be a letdown.

I own a few cabs and have over the years as well :)

Attachments

• IMG_4658.jpeg
    IMG_4658.jpeg
    700.4 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom