Need help with a foot controller

Bones86

First off, I am sorry, this pertains to legacy products but I really need help.

I have an Axe FX ll (Mk.1/Original)

Yesterday I bought a used MFC-101 Mk. lll

But the MFC-101 just won’t start up / boot.

My FX ll only has the Ethernet MFC plug on the back. I tried the provided Cat6. Ethernet cable - nothing. I tried 3 Cat5. cables I already had - nothing.

Talked to the owner he said it worked fine before he shipped it, but he has an XL+ and used XLR/FASlink but told me Ethernet worked too.

Do I need like a special Cat5 Ethernet or will any do? Like the ones going from my PC to Modems for internet connections, those type of Ethernet work?

I’m considering buying a 9vAC 2100mA 2.5mm female barrel connector powersupply, I can use one of these right? Then all I need is a 5-pin (both ends) midi cable going from MFC-101 Midi out to FX ll Midi in (or vice versa) and I’m good to go?

Really bummed out that my MFC-101 doesn’t power on with Ethernet cables :( ruined my day and probably my joy of using it once I get it powered.

Thanks for any help.

It should be a standard Cat5e as far as I can remember.

The separate power supply should work fine with a midi cable.

There have been people that accidentally plugged a USB cable into the EtherCon port and fried it... Possible that happened to your Axe Fx?

It should be a standard Cat5e as far as I can remember.

The separate power supply should work fine with a midi cable.

There have been people that accidentally plugged a USB cable into the EtherCon port and fried it... Possible that happened to your Axe Fx?
Thank you for your reply.

I asked both the seller of the MFC-101 and the FX ll, but they both bought it second-hand too. Last owner of the FX ll said he never used the MFC port, but the first owner could’ve fried the port I really fear that is the case :( I see no other way. Because the MFC would still power on via power supply or FASlink even though the Ethernet port is done for, right?

Tried my 4th Cat5 Ethernet cable now, it is a 568B too.

Ok thanks then it looks like the way to go is with a power supply and a MIDI cable. Until I can save up for the FX lll 😎 with the FC 6/12.

When you say Cat5e the ‘E’ means Ethernet, right? And it is OK for the power supply to be higher than 1000mA (in this case 2100mA)?

I asked both the seller of the MFC-101 and the FX ll, but they both bought it second-hand too. Last owner of the FX ll said he never used the MFC port, but the first owner could’ve fried the port I really fear that is the case :( I see no other way. Because the MFC would still power on via power supply or FASlink even though the Ethernet port is done for, right?

Ok thanks then it looks like the way to go is with a power supply and a MIDI cable. Until I can save up for the FX lll 😎 with the FC 6/12.

When you say Cat5e the ‘E’ means Ethernet, right? And it is OK for the power supply to be higher than 1000mA (in this case 2100mA)?
The e is for enhanced.

I’m one of those people! 🤣

If that’s the case, here are the repair instructions Fractal Audio support provided.

‘To repair the MFC port, jumper 30 AWG wire from the cathode of the diode to the bottom of each of the two capacitors above the burnt out inductors.’

I never completed the repair because I don’t use an MFC.

I think it's ok to use one with a higher current capacity. That's the max current it can supply.

Thank you for all the replies <3

Just to clarify, I don't need to use a Cat5e I CAN use a Cat5 without the 'E'? :S

Ordered a power supply adapter now.

Rock on good folks :^)

Update;

Sorry to bother you all again but I found a power supply adapter I think will work, but I want to be sure. Can someone check the photos below and confirm that it at least won’t harm my units? Thanks guys 🤗

I need 230v here so all is good there I guess. I put the selector to 9v. My MFC-101 needs 1000mA(?) and this has (can give?) 4000mA and I guess 1A=1000mA?

On the last photo, should the connector tip face south not north so that the poles are inverted as per the description highlighted in green? Or does it matter?

Update #2;

I used this power supply adapter and now my MFC-101 lit up like a Christmas tree 🤓 5-pin to 5-pin (off about 5m) MIDI cable works great going MIDI out (MFC-101) to MIDI in on FX ll.

So if someone searches up and finds this post what worked for me was using a power supply adapter then a regular MIDI cable. Good luck and thanks for the help guys.

-Laters

PS: Cat5e didn’t work it. Concluded that either Ethernet port is fried by a previous owner.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    768.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg