Control Switch question

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
This may be a complex request, and some may ask “why not just use scenes?”, and I haven’t ruled that out at all, but I am curious; Is it possible to use a control switch to change an amp channel and bypass a drive block at the same time, and upon hitting that control switch again, change the amp channel back and turn the drive block back on? I’m guessing potentially with modifiers?

you can assign the Bypass controls or any other parameter that can have a modifier to Control Switches. the catch though is nothing else can control that parameter at this point. so a Control Switch on the Bypass of Drive means a Scene cannot change that Bypass anymore.

Channels cannot have a modifier, as they are not a parameter, so a Control Switch can't change channels at this time.

Fractal designed the FC controllers (including switches in the 3 and 9) to directly control blocks on/off and other various things, and it's not transmitting over common MIDI, allowing a common XLR cable for connection. as of now there are no "general switches" like a MIDI controller.

an advanced MIDI switch that can have multiple commands on a single button press could be programmed to send Drive Bypass, and Amp Channel change, for example. i've used a MMGT from RJM and it allowed this. i believe Morningstar and similar recent controllers can do this.

maybe the FCs one day will have a "general switch" setup allowing whatever messaging we want, but the current FC communication is extremely complex already with so many if/then's handling all the sync.

you can assign the Bypass controls or any other parameter that can have a modifier to Control Switches. the catch though is nothing else can control that parameter at this point. so a Control Switch on the Bypass of Drive means a Scene cannot change that Bypass anymore.

Channels cannot have a modifier, as they are not a parameter, so a Control Switch can't change channels at this time.

Fractal designed the FC controllers (including switches in the 3 and 9) to directly control blocks on/off and other various things, and it's not transmitting over common MIDI, allowing a common XLR cable for connection. as of now there are no "general switches" like a MIDI controller.

an advanced MIDI switch that can have multiple commands on a single button press could be programmed to send Drive Bypass, and Amp Channel change, for example. i've used a MMGT from RJM and it allowed this. i believe Morningstar and similar recent controllers can do this.

maybe the FCs one day will have a "general switch" setup allowing whatever messaging we want, but the current FC communication is extremely complex already with so many if/then's handling all the sync.
Oh, interesting! I did not know some of this! I assumed this could be done! The plan was to have it all work the way I thought AND utilize scenes for fast switching/reverting, but it looks like scenes it is, and using amp channel switching when I’m in my traditional “pedalboard” layout! I could potentially set up two rigs, but I’m trying to keep my presets as streamlined as possible.

Thanks for this info!

You could actually do it with the addition of a midi "loopback" cable (a midi cable connected from the midi OUT to midi IN.

Use the Control Switch to engage/bypass the block. Use Control Switch Midi on the same CS to send midi for channel select.

It's a (literally) out of the box solution, but others have done similar approaches...

You could actually do it with the addition of a midi "loopback" cable (a midi cable connected from the midi OUT to midi IN.

Use the Control Switch to engage/bypass the block. Use Control Switch Midi on the same CS to send midi for channel select.

It's a (literally) out of the box solution, but others have done similar approaches...
Interesting! So is it just a midi jumper cable essentially? And that allows you to modify the behavior of control switches or something??

Interesting! So is it just a midi jumper cable essentially? And that allows you to modify the behavior of control switches or something??
The Axe Fx can send midi out via Control Switch Midi. It's only out, not "within".

Midi can be used to select channels (among other things).

So we use the cable so the Axe Fx can send midi out and back in to itself.

Control Switch Midi is a "secondary" function of Control Switches. It can send a midi payload after any configured function is triggered.

Back
Top Bottom