Tim Pierce doing the Grammys with Dean Parks

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
Mostly about the Premier Awards show, hours before the primetime one everybody sees, lots of awards for more behind the scenes people.
Band played 91 songs, some of which are beastly, as in a 37 page chart for the music director on a Kirk Franklin thing.
Lots of split screen of Tim and Dean.
These guys are Pros at the highest level, period.

And re older players (like me) Dean is 77, totally on top of his stuff :)

This is so cool and the ultimate in what it means to be a pro. It must be very rewarding. It’s good to see how a large ensemble (orchestra) plays and when they play.

Oh and I would actually watch the Grammys if this was what is aired instead of the crud that does get aired now. The Grammys use to a bit more like this. 40 years ago.

This is amazing to me, the hobbiest. What do you suppose is in their respective monitor mixes besides their own guitar?
My bet is they get a full mix of everyone, and a cue feed with the director's voice. They might get themselves louder, or have control over that, but that's an awful lot of people to provide separate mixes to.

I also wondered what they each brought to play through. Really small amp and small pedal board I'd guess, but I don't know. Should ask, but I don't like commenting on YouTube.

I was watching Pierce and noticed his guitar; It's an Xotic XSCPRO-2. And, just as I was about to mention it here my phone rang with a call from Xotic letting me know my XSCPRO-2, which had to go into the shop for an adjustment, is on its way back to me, a one-day turnaround. Amazing!

In our conversation I mentioned Pierce's guitar in the video at the Grammys, and he laughed and said he'd spent an hour talking to Pierce a little while back, and Pierce told him he bought that guitar from his own pocket and loves it. I think it also says a lot that Dean Parks was playing his Yamaha in almost every shot too. That's some high and unsolicited praise for guitar companies that beats paid advertising and even signature models of guitars that the artists don't use the majority of the time.

Back
Top Bottom