Loss of volume and tone was destroyed!

First time jamming with this preset and the AX8?
You bought the AX8 used?
Describe how you are connecting it all up.
Yes first time jamming with this preset
I bought the AX8 new years ago, shortly after I bought the AX8 I stopped playing in a band and my rig sat for years not being used.
The matrix A/B input was set for stereo and the output speaker cable was connect to my Marshall was set on mono @ 4 ohms.

I bought the AX8 new years ago, shortly after I bought the AX8 I stopped playing in a band and my rig sat for years not being used.
The matrix A/B input was set for stereo and the output speaker cable was connect to my Marshall was set on mono @ 4 ohms.
how many ohms is the cab rated at?

Sorry, but I disagree with that.

Setting the modeler at full volume could overload the input of the amp.

Fractal devices have the ability to generate a LOT of Output level.
They can but it seems most people build presets with out level (not the knob) below 0. My loudest is -6 and i struggled to dial it in with only one other guitarist. The amp inputs hopefully also have clip leds.

I will be trying bridged mode on my gt800 in order to not clip it.

Edit: can also guess OP didnt dial in the preset at gig volume with the band

At 16 omhs bridged that's 650 watts. my cabinet is rated for 300watts won't this damage my cabinet?
The power won’t damage it if you keep it reasonable (sometimes better to have power to spare than to underdrive), but I think you want to make sure to keep the output tap at less than or equal to the ohms rating of the speaker you are connecting to. Can’t speak to the damage, but I wouldn’t want to experiment with my new gear.

Last edited:
OK. Trying to start from the source instead of focusing straight to the amp.

Did you try another preset to hear if there is a volume difference?
Have you connected the AX8 to a computer after all these years and check your I/O setting?
How does the AX8 sound through your home system?
Does your guitar have EMGs or the equivalent?
Cables are good (guitar and to amp)?

Well, others have this covered and I need to bow out. I just looked at my GT1000FX and it states “8ohms bridged minimum” which I assume refers to the cab you intend to connect.

Good luck with your troubleshooting. Fingers crossed gear is okay.

OK. Trying to start from the source instead of focusing straight to the amp.

Did you try another preset to hear if there is a volume difference?
Have you connected the AX8 to a computer after all these years and check your I/O setting?
How does the AX8 sound through your home system?
Does your guitar have EMGs or the equivalent?
Cables are good (guitar and to amp)?
cables are good. I do have EMG pickups. When I play at home at low volume it sounds great. What would I be looking for in I/O settings. Yes I recently connected via my laptop. Other presets have the same volume problem

how many ohms is the cab rated at?
4/16 mono 8 stereo

I set my I/O Out 1 to +4.0 dBu. Running into a FRFR or effects loop of amp I have plenty of volume. The AX8 Out 1 is set around 1130 or 12.

Just fired up the AX8 and loaded the Savageness Preset. Lots of volume.

EMGs batteries aren't going bad?

This what I will try tonight. The Matrix input will be set at parallel, the Matrix output will be connected to my cab at 4 ohms giving me 500 watts. Ill set the AX8 output knob at 12 o'clock and crank channel A on the Matrix and see if the preset tone degrades. 500 watts should shake my windows. I'll update my results tomorrow. Thanks everyone for helping. Long live Rock

I’d be interested to see how your preset sounds. It could be that maybe you don’t have enough mids in your tone. If you get a chance, definitely try a different preset to experiment with how that cuts through.

They can but it seems most people build presets with out level (not the knob) below 0. My loudest is -6 and i struggled to dial it in with only one other guitarist. The amp inputs hopefully also have clip leds.

I will be trying bridged mode on my gt800 in order to not clip it.

Edit: can also guess OP didnt dial in the preset at gig volume with the band
That's true but with Output mode at +4 and the knob all the way up it's still quite loud even leveled at 0 (which is the recommended target).

I have never even set my Output knob to 50%... Way too loud :)

This what I will try tonight. The Matrix input will be set at parallel, the Matrix output will be connected to my cab at 4 ohms giving me 500 watts. Ill set the AX8 output knob at 12 o'clock and crank channel A on the Matrix and see if the preset tone degrades. 500 watts should shake my windows. I'll update my results tomorrow. Thanks everyone for helping. Long live Rock

Set the fractal vol @ 0

Matrix at 1-2 o’clock

Bring up the fractal slowly

👍

Back
Top Bottom