What would you do?

I totally get why you feel like you're being rubbed the wrong way. I don't mean to tell you that it isn't valid, but I just think that it's not likely that the tracks will be particularly useful, so in a "choose your battles" sense it's just not worth a fight. If you consider that they are going to be building up a track underneath a vocal that was performed with no awareness of what the final product would be like, I feel like it's a recipe for failure... That vocal is likely to feel completely untethered.

If the tracks have a registered copyright, you probably have some protection against not being properly compensated for unlikely success.

And on that note, she's got some gall for requesting this, and it shows that she doesn't feel like she can come up with better material on her own or with others than the tracks you guys worked on together. Perhaps you can take some comfort in that, send off the tracks and wish her well.

She is a credited writer, she can record, preform do what ever she wants. Is there an agreement in place as to who owns the mechanical rights? As in who owns the recording? If nothing is in place I would suggest that she is entitled to the tracks also. If that's the case then it largely sounds like sour grapes on your part. If you own the recording alone then you can do whatever you want or not.

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback. Honestly, pretty much every person echoed something I had already thought of but it was good to see the feedback and I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give your opinions.

Just to close the loop on the topic, I agreed to give her the tracks on the condition the songwriter credits are listed correctly for anything that results from this project, which she agreed to.

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback. Honestly, pretty much every person echoed something I had already thought of but it was good to see the feedback and I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give your opinions.

Just to close the loop on the topic, I agreed to give her the tracks on the condition the songwriter credits are listed correctly for anything that results from this project, which she agreed to.
👍
I think that's right

I would also have her/them agree to crediting whoever recorded/mixed/mastered the tracks if they use any part of the tracks you sent.

I've had this type of similar dilemma @unix-guy so I can totally see your side of it. Ultimately though, I went with I'm 55 now...my time of being a world famous musician is past and at this point, I just want to enjoy myself and not worry about stuff like this because in the grand scheme of things, it's not that important (to me I mean - not saying that would apply to you). I would send her the tracks and wish her well on whatever she is trying to do. You created some art - no one can take that away from you - like YOU did that, and that fact will never change.

I would send them and say "hey if any of the music is used, please just make sure we (or you) get our due credit."

I've had this type of similar dilemma @unix-guy so I can totally see your side of it. Ultimately though, I went with I'm 55 now...my time of being a world famous musician is past and at this point, I just want to enjoy myself and not worry about stuff like this because in the grand scheme of things, it's not that important (to me I mean - not saying that would apply to you). I would send her the tracks and wish her well on whatever she is trying to do. You created some art - no one can take that away from you - like YOU did that, and that fact will never change.

I would send them and say "hey if any of the music is used, please just make sure we (or you) get our due credit."
Pretty much sums up where I ended up (I'm also 55 ;))...

Good to hear all's well that ends well. I think @unix-guy made the right decision and didn't let any misplaced pride get in the way. Glad that the stipulation was to give credit where credit is due if the singer's project produces sales.

You young'uns are lucky.

Staring at 59 in a couple months....

Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

6 decades in a couple months!

You did the right thing. It's an awkward position. I have a related anecdote that seems worth sharing (note: not an endoresement, not affiliated with the app):

My daughter is turning out to be a pretty good singer. She's in a band and she's writing most of the orignical music. Some of the others a starting to contribute. One member left and wanted to use some of the original material. The copywright and ownership questions came to the fore.

Based on a Beato video, where he introduced Session Studio, I got them to work on their material through that system so the credits were explicit from the beginning and they have a learn about the various aspects, discuss and agree on the credits vs. splits. It was the most straightforward way I could figure out to get all that 1) settled and 2) documented, 3) for free.

So far, so good. No arguments. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom