New Guitar Synthesizer

Did you see Leon Todd’s demo?
No I didn't. I'll definitely check it out though. Still, he is sent the products for review (but I think he does a good job--he was probably the only reviewer I found that had the balls to say the QC wasn't mature enough yet) . I'm just not seeing many "homegrown" reviews. Maybe it just needs more time.

Just saw HippieTim's post and he's probably right. Just needs more time.

No I didn't. I'll definitely check it out though. Still, he is sent the products for review (but I think he does a good job--he was probably the only reviewer I found that had the balls to say the QC wasn't mature enough yet) . I'm just not seeing many "homegrown" reviews. Maybe it just needs more time.

Just saw HippieTim's post and he's probably right. Just needs more time.
Yeah I’m pretty sure it was sponsored. He liked it. It is what it is though. There’s definitely things missing that would make it much more perfect. Leon did wish they would have squeezed a modeling engine in it. Probably a marketing/cost and competing with the SY-1000 decision. Someone did mention with the 13pin conversion module you could seamlessly interface with the SY-1000 or other 13 pin stuff and still adopt the GK-5. Of course more money! Not sure about all that. Leon does take the time to MIDI it to his Hydra synth.

If I had a 1000 bucks to blow I would grab one.

This seems pretty cool.

https://www.boss.info/global/products/gm-800/

I wonder if it can do guitar sounds with alternate tunings? Haven’t been able to find that yet.
Yes it can, you can “tune” each string individually. The guitarsounds themselves are passable at best, nothing spectacular. The string-, piano-, synth- and brass-sounds on the other hand are stellar. I testdrove one yesterday. Tracking is acceptable and the occurrence of glitches is minimal compared to the 33 or 55 for instanc.

Yes it can, you can “tune” each string individually. The guitarsounds themselves are passable at best, nothing spectacular. The string-, piano-, synth- and brass-sounds on the other hand are stellar. I testdrove one yesterday. Tracking is acceptable and the occurrence of glitches is minimal compared to the 33 or 55 for instanc.

In addition to tuning individual strings, there are lots of settings on GK/hexaphonic capable input devices that can help tracking tremendously by setting them how you play. I am sure the same exists on the GM-800. Example: input sensitivity, play feel, and pitch bend data settings. The last 2 are most important.

Many people who complain about tracking just tried one out at GC and bailed on it when the tracking sucked. Then the flaming started. I have been playing both GR-33 and then a GI-20 (midi only no sound module) for decades. I find the tracking to be pretty great but you have to set Play Feel appropriately. Mine has these choices:

Normal: General picking, thus the standard setting
for play.

Finger picking: The setting for when you want to perform with the feeling finger picking provides. Sensitivity is a little higher than Normal.

Hard picking: This setting is for those who pick rather hard, and the sensitivity is a little lower than Normal.

Soft picking: For picking that is a little weaker. Sensitivity is a little higher than Normal.

Tapping play: When making use of many kinds of picking techniques, such as tapping play (or “right-hand play”), pullingoff, or hammering-on, this setting provides very stable sound expression. The range of power that can be expressed is a bit narrow.

No dynamics: With this setting, no matter how hard or softly you play, you get uniform volume and tone. Use this setting with tones like Synth Lead or Organ when you want to transmit a feeling without expression.

As far as pitch bend data the "Bend Data Thin" function also improves tracking by reducing pitch bend data. If you play with a lot of vibrato you will want this. Another common mistake is to not adjust the bend range. May not be an issue on GR's or on GM-800 for built-in sounds, but as soon as you try to drive a virtual instrument in your DAW it will become an issue and glitching will occur due to overwhelming the plugin with pitch bend data. Example: Piano is a chromatic instrument so I usually set bend range to 0 for triggering keys. Most plugins handle a bend range of 2 half steps just fine but 2 octaves of bend range going into a chromatic instrument is going sound bad.

With all that said any midi pickup will require very clean technique for good tracking since they pickup and transmit things in a less forgiving way than a regular guitar pickup. Example: if you aren't careful then even muted notes can trigger sounds.

Last edited:
I got my GM800 over the weekend. The sounds are fantastic. No GK5 yet so I used the A/D converter. Once you get the GK settings configured it works pretty good. To me it tracks pretty close to the TriplePlay without the crappy TriplePlay software.

As always, you still have to play clean, your guitar setup has to be good (string buzz and other artifacts will make you glitch), having the GK too close to the strings will cause double triggers, etc. Don't skimp on getting the guitar dialed in properly because it can have quite a dramatic impact on the results.

Using the Cycfi Nuv2 pickups via the Nexus breakout box works like a champ.

I got my GM800 over the weekend. The sounds are fantastic. No GK5 yet so I used the A/D converter. Once you get the GK settings configured it works pretty good. To me it tracks pretty close to the TriplePlay without the crappy TriplePlay software.

As always, you still have to play clean, your guitar setup has to be good (string buzz and other artifacts will make you glitch), having the GK too close to the strings will cause double triggers, etc. Don't skimp on getting the guitar dialed in properly because it can have quite a dramatic impact on the results.

Using the Cycfi Nuv2 pickups via the Nexus breakout box works like a champ.
Glad you’re liking it. I’m sure it’s a cool piece of gear. Are you planning on getting the GK5 or stick with what you have? I wonder if the GK5 adds any performance enhancement?

Glad you’re liking it. I’m sure it’s a cool piece of gear. Are you planning on getting the GK5 or stick with what you have? I wonder if the GK5 adds any performance enhancement?
I have a GK5 on order. I’m sure it must perform differently than the GK3 because GK5 was the default setting on the GM800 and the sensitivity was over the top until I switched to the GK3 setting.

I have a GK5 on order. I’m sure it must perform differently than the GK3 because GK5 was the default setting on the GM800 and the sensitivity was over the top until I switched to the GK3 setting.
Hmm…this is interesting. Thanks!

I’m sort of caught between waiting to see what Yamaha puts out to replace the Montage in the fall or go for the GM-800. I haven’t put any money into hardware synth stuff for years. Well besides the FM3 if that counts and a midi controller. Whatever workstation Yamaha introduces and the GM-800 are sort of in two different worlds, both in function and price. (mostly guessing on the Yamaha) Other than VST’s my last major synth purchase was over 22 years ago. Yamaha EX5.

Are the GK5’s backordered?

Hey @hippietim - reviving this old thread. Many years ago I used a VG-99 and years later a GP-10, but I haven't done the guitar synth thing in a while. I found a used GM-800 for a reasonable price and decided to take the plunge into guitar synthesis again. I should have it in a few days. I was just curious what you think about yours (assuming you still use it).

In my case I have a Godin XTSA with the older built-in 13-pin system so I'll be using the "AD" box initially. If it seems promising I might get the GK5 if there's an inherent advantage in suing it and/or to mount on other guitars.

Back
Top Bottom