Help needed with this beautiful Tone….

Sydchotti

So,
I came across this phenom of a guitarist from Korea. His specialty seems to be these micro inflections that he does to make the guitar sound a lot more vocal.
While I’m trying to get that but was wondering if someone could help with the basic underlying tone…

Any tips on how to play like him would also be great!

I came across this phenom of a guitarist from Korea. His specialty seems to be these micro inflections that he does to make the guitar sound a lot more vocal.
Just vibrato and some (nowadays) overused cliches, IMO. But he does that well.
If you love this style of playing the vocal line, have a look at David Levi who I think blows 'em all out of the water (and sometimes uses the Axe-Fx)... [oops -- I see you've already noticed him :) ]
https://www.youtube.com/@DavidLeviGuitar/videos

While I’m trying to get that but was wondering if someone could help with the basic underlying tone…
Others will be more valuable here...
I was reminded of VInai who recorded some Neal Schon tunes with lots of delay and somewhat similar tone, Schon style. I think he used the Friedman and/or Euro Red on the AFX II.

As Joe Satriani says, if you play melodies a lot, find an amp (and/or helper settings) that also sounds fat on the thin strings. I remember from the AFX II that just a few amps did that for my guitar (one of the Splawns, for example). I'm not very up to date with the current gen yet. You can easily hear it by going through the models.

Any tips on how to play like him would also be great!
Mostly general things...
  • don't suck, basically ;)
  • learn about intonating the guitar very well and (practice) bending in tune (or master Melodyne software ;) )
  • bad vibrato ruins everything -- great vibrato can make you stick out
  • record yourself and ask for hard critique (I never see anyone do that...)
  • find guys who you think have exquisite taste, think about why that is so for you and hone in on it...

Last edited:
Thank you @Brewce for your kind & thoughtful answer.
Yes, I love David’s stuff, it’s a pity he doesn’t publish more.
I frankly struggle with the exaggerated vibrato that almost reminds of Zak Wyld’s 2step ones.
Also, the guy seems to be almost playing pinch harmonics while going for those high note bends which I personally find to be really difficult. I wonder if the eq or gain settings can make that a bit more easier slash reliable?

I frankly struggle with the exaggerated vibrato that almost reminds of Zak Wyld’s 2step ones.
I wouldn't call it a wide vibrato though -- there is no time for it.
Normally I hate playing where a fast nervous vibrato is started immediately, but he does it musically. The first ones sound timed in triplets to the music, later ones in 16ths, and some variations in-between to not sound boring.

Also, the guy seems to be almost playing pinch harmonics while going for those high note bends which I personally find to be really difficult. I wonder if the eq or gain settings can make that a bit more easier slash reliable?
I think he is doing that indeed. IMO, this should come easy once you know how -- it should actually not be overdone.

For me a master of pinch harmonics is Jay Graydon. Here's a quote that also says to pick the right amp, but in this case for the mids (so in fact similar to the fatness mentioned earlier).

Jay Graydon: It's all about mid-range. When I’m playing on the high two strings, if it thins out, if all of a sudden the sound just gets thin and tinny, that’s all I can think about... Most amps that happens. The mid-range control, it’s not... it’s got to start as a sweet mid-rangey sound -- it’s just the way it is. / Everything about an amp to me is the mids... because you can’t add mids later and make it sound right -- you have to have mids come from the amp. I prefer a much more mid-rangey tone and I can add highs to it. You can always brighten up a mid-rangey tone, but when you add EQ on an amp in the control room -- EQ after the fact -- it never sounds like amp EQ. [When] You add in the mid-range at 800... it just doesn’t sound right! [not sure the same goes for the Axe, but his point is still interesting]

I think there are several more pointers for this that you'll hopefully get from others. Hope I didn't ruin the thread :p

Some factors I suspect can indeed relate are picking location, volume, pickups, boosts(?), EQ, strings, amps, ...

Last edited:
Again, thank you for taking the time to pen down such a detailed reply. I must admit I'm not familiar with Mr. Graydon's work but will definitely delve deeper.

Again, thank you for taking the time to pen down such a detailed reply. I must admit I'm not familiar with Mr. Graydon's work but will definitely delve deeper.
I may have first heard or remembered him from this hit (w many pinch harmonics)...

He may be the most-recorded LA studio guy and taught/inspired Lukather.
Weirdly, no one has made a preset for his classic solo sound yet (AFAIK).

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/jay-graydon

He's been planning to start a YouTube channel for the last 2 or 3 years. If he does, it will probably be the best ever :)
I pray he has secretly not relapsed with cancer...

Back
Top Bottom