FM9 Firmware Version 6.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the manual, "PC Reset sets the value for an external source when a preset first loads. This allows you to override the actual position of an external controller until it is moved or updated." In other words, when ON, if you have an external modifier assigned, when you load a preset it will ignore the modifier and load the preset value. The modifier only kicks in when it is changed/moved. EXCEPT ON STARTUP. The default startup preset would not override the position of the modifier. While not technically a bug (the feature requires a preset change), most folks (myself included) felt that it was inconsistent and the PC Reset setting should apply to loading of the startup preset as well.
Yeah, this has been my experience. Inconsistent behavior aside, the problem I'm running into (as are others) is when I have a parameter tied to an external modifier that should default to 0%, but is disconnected and therefore defaulting to 100%. Always-on whammy is one example.

All that being said, this behavior appears to be mirrored in the Axe-Fx III, so I imagine it's a conscious design choice. Bummer too, because it makes this otherwise cool feature somewhat less useful... unless resorting to weird tricks to get around it, i.e. changing presets to activate PC Reset.

Don't know if this is a bug from the new firmware or not but third from left stomp switch stopped working on any bank on my latest power up. Rebooting solved it but the fact it happened has me anticipating it occurring at a less opportune time.
It's a known glitch that occurs in many non-turbo and mkII turbo units. Typically happens perhaps once or twice if at all. Previous time it happened with my non-turbo was 2 months into its lifetime. Has not happened since.

The solution involves powering down, unplugging the unit from its wall source (either at the effect board or wall is OK), replugging the power source, and powering on. That usually clears the errant stomp switches if you've got them. Takes all of an extra 3 or 4 minutes setup time.

If the stomp switches stop working more frequently, that's a customer service problem. It might make sense to invest if you've not done so already into the FAS 3-year warranty.

Yeah, this has been my experience. Inconsistent behavior aside, the problem I'm running into (as are others) is when I have a parameter tied to an external modifier that should default to 0%, but is disconnected and therefore defaulting to 100%. Always-on whammy is one example.

All that being said, this behavior appears to be mirrored in the Axe-Fx III, so I imagine it's a conscious design choice. Bummer too, because it makes this otherwise cool feature somewhat less useful... unless resorting to weird tricks to get around it, i.e. changing presets to activate PC Reset.
INITIAL VALUE:

External Control 1–16

These sixteen parameters specify the initial value to be used for each of the
16 External Controllers (p. 67) when the FM3 is powered on. This value
persists until data is received from the MIDI controller. This is especially useful
when an external MIDI controller is absent. For example, if you normally use an
expression pedal to control the volume in your presets, a missing pedal might
make the preset get “stuck” in a muted position. Setting an initial value of 100%
for the External Controller mapped to that pedal would ensure that when the
pedal is not connected, the volume will stay at 100% instead of 0%. This setting
is only for controllers with a MIDI CC# assignment. It does not apply to local or
FC pedals or switches

INITIAL VALUE:

External Control 1–16

These sixteen parameters specify the initial value to be used for each of the
16 External Controllers (p. 67) when the FM3 is powered on. This value
persists until data is received from the MIDI controller. This is especially useful
when an external MIDI controller is absent. For example, if you normally use an
expression pedal to control the volume in your presets, a missing pedal might
make the preset get “stuck” in a muted position. Setting an initial value of 100%
for the External Controller mapped to that pedal would ensure that when the
pedal is not connected, the volume will stay at 100% instead of 0%. This setting
is only for controllers with a MIDI CC# assignment. It does not apply to local or
FC pedals or switches
I've found that Initial Value only seems to work for External Modifiers that are connected. If an External Control is set to 0%, and it's corresponding modifier is connected, then all good. If it's not connected though, the value for that External Modifier will be 100% regardless of Initial Value.

I've found that Initial Value only seems to work for External Modifiers that are connected. If an External Control is set to 0%, and it's corresponding modifier is connected, then all good. If it's not connected though, the value for that External Modifier will be 100% regardless of Initial Value.
Yes. Those only apply to External Controllers, hence the parameter name.

Does not apply to pedal jacks.

Last edited:
Yes. Those only apply to External Controllers, hence the parameter name.

Does not apply to pedal jacks.
I've seen this mentioned before, and fair enough, but what about when (let's say) Pedal 1 is tied to External Control 1? I've found that Initial Value does work for External Modifiers that are tied to pedals, unless the pedal is disconnected.

Something I've just observed is that in scenarios where no pedal is connected, the value of an external modifier's Initial Value is applied at startup, but then quickly switched to 100%. I'm wondering now if the fluctuating ADC value of the empty pedal jack is what's causing the problem...

I've seen this mentioned before, and fair enough, but what about when (let's say) Pedal 1 is tied to External Control 1? I've found that Initial Value does work for External Modifiers that are tied to pedals, unless the pedal is disconnected.

Something I've just observed is that in scenarios where no pedal is connected, the value of an external modifier's Initial Value is applied at startup, but then quickly switched to 100%. I'm wondering now if the fluctuating ADC value of the empty pedal jack is what's causing the problem...
Yes, I think I spoke incorrectly... Your summary matches my experience.

Finally had time to update the F.W and test run it in our band rehearsal, Gapless Switching...ahhh what a treat :)
It totally free me overthinking of timing, when should I press the next scene/preset/etc... now just hit that next button and that's it.
Thanks FAS, this update is so important for live application.

Edit: Created bug thread in FM9 Edit...
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/scene-level-not-accurate-when-batch-saving.202332/

POTENTIAL BUG
I was updating a few scene levels in the Out1 block (specifically adding 2db to scene 4). I did a Shift + right click to save to multiple presets as I had maybe 25 presets to update. That workflow went as planned, but I noticed after the saves were completed that my scene 4 was not at 2dB... it was at 2.15dB. I tested it a few more times trying different numbers and it will not save spot on, unless you save presets individually, by not using the "save multiple presets" function.
I tried a few more times saving to multiple presets and still received weird numbers. 5dB returned 5.08dB.
Anyone else ran into this?

Last edited:
POTENTIAL BUG
I was updating a few scene levels in the Out1 block (specifically adding 2db to scene 4). I did a Shift + right click to save to multiple presets as I had maybe 25 presets to update. That workflow went as planned, but I noticed after the saves were completed that my scene 4 was not at 2dB... it was at 2.15dB. I tested it a few more times trying different numbers and it will not save spot on, unless you save presets individually, by not using the "save multiple presets" function.
I tried a few more times saving to multiple presets and still received weird numbers. 5dB returned 5.08dB.
I did.

POTENTIAL BUG
Post this in the editor thread... Batch settings are not part of the hardware/firmware.

Firmware 6.0 - Some amplifiers are extremely loud

Is it wanted or a bug in firmware 6.0?
If NFB compensation is activated, some amplifiers are extremely loud compared to others. This was not the case in firmware 5. Will there be an update in this regard or do i have to switch off the NFB compensation manually on this amp? Or is there another way to correctly adjust the volumes of the presets from firmware 5 in 6?
E.g. JR Blues, 59 Bassguy

Attachments

• Blues Junior.fasBundle
    31.9 KB · Views: 2
Firmware 6.0 - Some amplifiers are extremely loud

Is it wanted or a bug in firmware 6.0?
If NFB compensation is activated, some amplifiers are extremely loud compared to others. This was not the case in firmware 5. Will there be an update in this regard or do i have to switch off the NFB compensation manually on this amp? Or is there another way to correctly adjust the volumes of the presets from firmware 5 in 6?
E.g. JR Blues, 59 Bassguy
Many of my main presets are using 59 Bassguy Bright. I didn't notice any volume changes to my presets except those using amps like the TX Star Clean, which got the Channel Master added.

The default NFB Compensation value of ON is supposed to be the equivalent of what was there before that switch was added.

But this was also posted above:

Edit: Just noticed that the above is correct for the Bassman 59 and Two STone models, but for the Cameron model, the NFB compensation does seem to work in the expected direction.

So obviously it's not just you experiencing the issue. Try changing to OFF to see if that fixes it for now.

I'm curious why I didn't observe the same thing...

What is your global Tone Control Display set to - Authentic or Ideal?

Many of my main presets are using 59 Bassguy Bright. I didn't notice any volume changes to my presets except those using amps like the TX Star Clean, which got the Channel Master added.

The default NFB Compensation value of ON is supposed to be the equivalent of what was there before that switch was added.

But this was also posted above:

So obviously it's not just you experiencing the issue. Try changing to OFF to see if that fixes it for now.

I'm curious why I didn't observe the same thing...

What is your global Tone Control Display set to - Authentic or Ideal?

If I switch off the NFB compensation, the volume is the same as before in firmware 5.
Tone Control Display is set to Authentic

If I switch off the NFB compensation, the volume is the same as before in firmware 5.
Tone Control Display is set to Authentic
Ok... Interesting.

I'm trying to figure out why I wouldn't have had the same issue.

When I'm in front of mine next I will try to see if I can figure anything out and share with the beta team.

Hey people, it's me or the Atomica and the Brit Super they never sounded soooo goooodd!!
They're fat, juicy, dynamic, easy under your fingers and "in the room"...yes, it depends on how you set them and from the cab, but hey guys, they're the best for me now!

Hey all! New FM9 user here and new to fractal products in general. I had a high gain tone dialed in prior to the update. After updating the firmware, I’m noticing these same presets sound different (I’m aware there was a warning for this before updating). The best way I could describe it is that the tone sounds more spanky and bright. Curious on if maybe there are some global setting updates that might be causing this or is it just a matter of playing around with it some more to dial in the tone again? Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom