The importance of Mono for live guitar playing

One thing I have found stereo or not I prefer no enhancer. There is something that I don't like about the effect. It isjust like putting sugar on top of Birthday cake :)
Yes, I no longer ever use the enhancer either. I'm finding it's punchier sounding enough without it.
I unashamedly run OUT 1 Stereo to FOH and OUT 2 Stereo to a power amp & a Stereo cab, and will continue to do so, as I'm the only guitar player in my band, and we run our own FOH.

What's the difference? Surely FoH has two speakers so would be dual mono as well?
i believe the difference is in mono vs stereo time based fx. if i use a stereo delay and the sound guy wants a mono feed, i got problems. whereas using dual mono, my mono fx dont sound differently. corrections welcomed.

of course, that doesnt mean my sound is only coming out of one foh speaker...unless im hard panned in the PA.

I want to thank everyone here in this thread because I was forcing my stereo sound to fit in the mix in a live setting, but I'm thinking it's a fool's errand.

If a FOH setup was a perfected stereo setup, with a sound guy to help with phasing issues, then I would consider running a stereo patch, with dual amps and my Mimiq pedal for doubling.

But I'm starting believe mono is King when playing in venues where Left and Right panning is compromised by bad speaker placement and room treatment.

I like recording our live events from the mixer. But now I'm just going record my guitar DI and do stereo effects in my DAW after the fact when headphones and casual listening will be playback, no longer thru a big FOH. Live sound and Home studio sounds are two different animals, and we should stop trying to marry the two together.

Yes, after reading this thread I've also been thinking I should only run mono to FoH from here on.

A sort of similar thing I've been thinking of is reverb. I find it really jarring playing at home without any reverb so I always have a bit of reverb on in each preset I create. But it would probably improve things if I don't use any reverb live (except as an actual effect). I already have a modifier to adjust my lead volume so using this I'll disable my at home reverb whenever I turn up the lead volume.

So Sum L+F and no reverb when playing live. I think it'll be a much more focused sound. Thanks for the inspiration.

regarding reverb...go check out neal schon's GoT presets. ...go w whatever works for you!

fyi...Sum L&R can prompt phasing issues as i understand it. Copy L to R avoids those issues.

regarding reverb...go check out neal schon's GoT presets. ...go w whatever works for you!

fyi...Sum L&R can prompt phasing issues as i understand it. Copy L to R avoids those issues.
There's nothing that doesn't cause any issues 😀. For instance my main delay is a Stereo BBD with the L/R Time Ratio set to 75% so creates that 1/4 note, dotted 8 note halo. Sounds wonderful in Stereo. With Sum L+R it's still doing that 1/4 note, dotted 8 note halo but in mono and still sounds great. With L > R the dotted 8 note halo disappears and it's just a regular mono delay. And yes I have to avoid (or test carefully) the 2290 and some other effects to avoid phasing issue with SUM L+R.

I checked out Neal Schon's GoT preset. So he's attached Expression 2 to both Delay and Reverb so uses them as an effect that's always available on a pedal. Heal down there's neither Delay nor Reverb. Pretty cool.

always stero guy here. Sumed to mono for mono Cab (before Cab Blockl) FOH and InEar stereo. if not enough channels on the board sum to mono. Never had a problem with phase issues.

posted on the 24.05 Thread as well. Love this unit!

preset:
Scene 6

Attachments

• 01 Strats.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom