FM9 PedalBoard Mounting - Ventilation

Hello,

I am curious how you all are mounting your FM9’s to the pedalboard, I’ve seen some say that they bolt it, I was thinking of using Velcro as I’ve done with other pedals in the past but I want to maintain clear airflow and I don’t want to remove the rubber feet on the FM9. Any insight and methods appreciated. I am planning on installing a Rockboard patch bay on my pedalboard (Some cutting required) so I can go to the gig and just plug the power directly into the pedalboard and take the FOH out of the patch bay, minimize wear on the FM9 jacks and hopefully streamline setup a bit.

Thanks again for the wonderful insight from this community!

Hello,

I am curious how you all are mounting your FM9’s to the pedalboard, I’ve seen some say that they bolt it, I was thinking of using Velcro as I’ve done with other pedals in the past but I want to maintain clear airflow and I don’t want to remove the rubber feet on the FM9. Any insight and methods appreciated. I am planning on installing a Rockboard patch bay on my pedalboard (Some cutting required) so I can go to the gig and just plug the power directly into the pedalboard and take the FOH out of the patch bay, minimize wear on the FM9 jacks and hopefully streamline setup a bit.

Thanks again for the wonderful insight from this community!
The Temple Audio boards are perforated and the spacing of the perforation pattern lines up with the FM9’s mounting.
So, plenty of ventilation and just screw it in…easy.

Just would save some time if somebody knew.
We have a pretty good idea… :)

use M3.5 x 6mm flat head screws. The flat head is conical, and will not be flush once driven in, but the screw head will partially seat itself in the hole. Do not over tighten the screws.

The reasons for this are: 1) While the end-caps hold the AX8 top and bottom panels together, the front center foot also helps hold these parts together and 2) replacing the screws ensures that dirt or other particles won't enter the chassis.

As for Velcro, always use professional "DUAL LOCK" velcro, which has sufficient height to prevent these exposed screw heads from bearing too much weight and also holds the AX8 firmly in place on your board.

There are several strengths of Dual Lock, but the middle strength has plenty of grab to hold the unit to a board. The problem is that the end-caps lift the unit above the surface of the pedalboard making it more difficult to use.

The screws work great I've used them with my FM3+FC6 and the FM9, and as a final test I'll lift the entire rig by the unit itself and shake it to see if anything feels loose. Tighten the screws down snuggly but, like Admin M@ says, don't overtighten them.

We have a pretty good idea… :)

There are several strengths of Dual Lock, but the middle strength has plenty of grab to hold the unit to a board. The problem is that the end-caps lift the unit above the surface of the pedalboard making it more difficult to use.

The screws work great I've used them with my FM3+FC6 and the FM9, and as a final test I'll lift the entire rig by the unit itself and shake it to see if anything feels loose. Tighten the screws down snuggly but, like Admin M@ says, don't overtighten them.
I'm not sure that part about the flat head screws is relevant as that is a very old comment about the AX8... The FM/FC have the big rubber feet that cover the holes.

Also, the mentioned screw sizes are too short

I used the thick 250 and 400 count dual lock. It raises the unit up off the board a bit, plus the board has slots in it. It's a Creation Aero board.

I use these nifty perspex spacers I got from @ZenRigs Man, along with LED strips for underlit effects.
1001211631a_HDR.jpg

20240101_224106.jpg

Something you might find out is that removing/replacing the corner screws might strip the screw holes. The existing lengths are 12mm. Try the 16 or 20mm M3.5x.06mm

Here's a direct link from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/25-M3-5-0-60...885-a931-4269793c6cd3&pd_rd_i=B078GY5T3D&th=1
Hardware store had m3 and m4 but not the very specific m3.5-.60 screws. Ordering off Amazon. I did have some time to modify my Strich aluminum pedalboard to mount the Rockboard patch bay to, I will post some pictures shortly, heading back from hardware store with tail between legs.

The 24 inch Strich board, I cut the alumimum a bit to accommodate the Rockboard Mod3 V2. Milwaukee makes a great touch up pen for when your multi tool gets away from you and you scratch the paint a bit. 😪🤣

I couldn't get the screws today but I ordered them. Thanks @bleujazz3 !

I will be out of town for a few days so hopefully I can wrap this up friday when I return.

Attachments

• 20240223_183514.jpg
    20240223_183514.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240223_183643.jpg
    20240223_183643.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
I took the rails off but kept the feet on the front side so there’s a small gap between the FM9 and the board for the bottom vent. Velcro’d the back side down. Hopefully this allowed enough breathing room!

Attachments

• IMG_4688.jpeg
    IMG_4688.jpeg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I took the rails off but kept the feet on the front side so there’s a small gap between FM9 and my board. Velcrod that back end. Do yall think that’s enough space for that llje
Is that board just solid under the fm9 or is it perforated?

Also, what are the 90 degree xlrs?

Hardware store had m3 and m4 but not the very specific m3.5-.60 screws. Ordering off Amazon. I did have some time to modify my Strich aluminum pedalboard to mount the Rockboard patch bay to, I will post some pictures shortly, heading back from hardware store with tail between legs.
Concur. It's very rare to find the M3.5 in hardware stores; amazon has what you need. :)

Concur. It's very rare to find the M3.5 in hardware stores; amazon has what you need. :)
They did have M2.5 and it got my hopes up. But alas I will have to wait a week, prime shipping wasnt available. I really appreciate the insight it's going to make my setup feel a lot cleaner.

Is that board just solid under the fm9 or is it perforated?

Also, what are the 90 degree xlrs?
It’s solid wood with a Velcro surface, I might eventually re configure with perforated metal.

The XLRs were ordered part of my custom board from WestCoastPedalboards, you can order them though separately. Unfortunately they weren’t long enough so I had to remake the xlrs to reach output 1

Attachments

• IMG_4695.png
    IMG_4695.png
    1 MB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom