Any DiMarzio paf 36 users?

Joshua_L

Experienced
Hello!

I’m trying to find a pickup to replace my jb.

I loved the jb with real tube amps but as I now only use my fm3 for live and studio it’s really too gainy, compressed and there’s a mid boost I don’t like anymore.

I want to go more « vintage » as I want more dynamic and less output to match my Virtual T neck (awesome pickup).

Any users of the paf36 here?

What I really don’t want is the have a mid scooped pickup. I need those mids in my rock paying.

Thanks

This dimarzio paf still has some beef but is better leveled without a mid hump. But it is not scooped. IMHO it is an ok pickup, but it could sound more open to mimic a vintage paf. I like the Suhr SSV more, because it has more openness and can sound very aggressive with more gain and very "vintage" with low gain.

This dimarzio paf still has some beef but is better leveled without a mid hump. But it is not scooped. IMHO it is an ok pickup, but it could sound more open to mimic a vintage paf. I like the Suhr SSV more, because it has more openness and can sound very aggressive with more gain and very "vintage" with low gain.
Didn’t know about this one thanxs.

The Andy Timmons Signature from Dimarzio is another to look at---it was based on the 36th Anniversary
PAF. Slightly hotter (not to hot) and modified.

@Fat Dad and I both used the 36th. It's a great pickup.
Thanks for your answer

I previously changed the jb for an AT-1 but is definitely too bassy and dark for my guitar. It’s a one piece mahogany tele that has already a lot of bass.

Yep, I put the 36th or 35 anniversary in a few guitars. Have one in a les paul with the nickel cover, and have one in a Warren D Skull n Blood Charvel (no cover). They seem perfect actually. Nothing like the JB, which is a high output pickup. I personally don't like high output pickups, but use the JB in a few guitars (G&L's for AIC stuff).

The Seth Lover is a great sounding PAF style pickup too if you want to stay with Seymour Duncan. It's not potted though, so that can be an issue for live use at high volume.

The PAF 36th Anniversary is a really good pickup but the Dimarzio Mo' Joe is one of my favorite bridge pickups. A bit more output than the PAF 36th Ann. but is still articulate and more tame in the highs. Responds very well to different pickup heights.

so I've finally put it in my mahogany telecaster!
This guitar is not a traditional telecaster, 1 piece mahogany body with a huge one piece maple neck ( the warmth fatback). so it's more on the dark side, kinda mix of a les Paul and telecaster.

Long story short, I had the jb before, then I had an AT-1 laying around so I decided to give at shot before the paf36. The AT-1 was great kind of less gain JB and less harsh but still too dark and muddy for my guitar, also too much of low mids bump . And it didn't suited well my Virtual T neck.

So i wired it last night and the first impressions are that this pickup is simply awesome!
I finally have that sparkle again, less boomy lows.
It's also really dynamic, it's a vintage output pickup but it handles gain like a champ and it scream just the way it should.

I'm a rock plexi-do-it-all guy and it is just the right pickup for my style.

Conclusion: The perfect Rock PAF!

I have the 36 anniversary’s , I had them for a while and never bonded in any guitar I put them in , until I put them in a guitar I made 33 years ago. Mahogany body with a maple cap. Pure joy, they clean up with the guitar volume nicely

Back
Top Bottom