Judas Priest 80's era.

dbonilla28

Inspired
I've got to record a cover of a British Steel song. Back in those days, they appear to be using a 4-input JCM800 variant. What would be the closest model on the Fractal Universe?

Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 09.46.28.png

it's look like a:
Marshall JCM800 1959 Mk II Super Lead (4 input)

Why not Try the "Big Hair" model.

Last edited:
I think your right personally the JMP 2203 w a boss overdrive in front is that sound IMO
As well as the Scorpions
Blackout , Love at first sting
Saxon , Iron Maiden
Def Leppard and most of the 80s bands from the UK 🇬🇧 and Europe
You are spot on, brother.

Thx, and that is exactly what I gigged with (2 2203 A/B stacks, a Boss OD and a Morley Silver Series Wah inline with a grip of "Krammers" loaded with SD Invaders) until the late 80s ('89?) when I purchased a pair of 2210 heads.

The BOSS OD turned that pair of stacks into an invincible fire-breathing 80s metal monilith of ball-crushing power...it WAS 80s metal! 🤘 :D

On that note, the 2203 High we have now in our Fractal gear is SO good, its amazing how close it is out of the box to the real thing, we are so blessed! Ill post my 2203 High preset soon, its what I use almost exclusively now, soooo nice. Maybe OP can give it a shot and see if it'll do for his task at hand.

Thanks for bringing back the great memories,

I've got to record a cover of a British Steel song. Back in those days, they appear to be using a 4-input JCM800 variant. What would be the closest model on the Fractal Universe?

View attachment 134895
I would go with the 2203 use the SD in the preamp boost and a Nobel overdrive in front…
Also a thought I doubt the British steel era amps were modded for gain… but in the fractal maybe use saturation and or switch the master from pre to post…

I don't think Priest was using master volume Marshalls for British Steel.
It was 1959s with a treble.boost.
The 2203s came later around Defenders.

The JMP 2203 was released 79 in the above Zen vids
British steel was 1980 April
Defenders would have been much later 1984-85

HISTORY​

The JMP was created to keep up with the increasing demand for amplifiers with the ability to produce distortion and sustain at low volume levels for studio or home use. To create these amps, we took the base of the standard model 1959 100-watt and 1987 50-watt Lead amps and added two volume controls. The first control being a pre-amp gain control and the second a master volume control. Released in 1975 these amps, known as the JMP 2203 and 2204, became the first Marshall amplifiers to have a Master Volume control and the 2204 model quickly became one of Marshall’s most popular products.

https://marshall.com/live-for-music/history/history-of-the-jmp-2203-and-2204

They may not have used them but the were around

HISTORY​

The JMP was created to keep up with the increasing demand for amplifiers with the ability to produce distortion and sustain at low volume levels for studio or home use. To create these amps, we took the base of the standard model 1959 100-watt and 1987 50-watt Lead amps and added two volume controls. The first control being a pre-amp gain control and the second a master volume control. Released in 1975 these amps, known as the JMP 2203 and 2204, became the first Marshall amplifiers to have a Master Volume control and the 2204 model quickly became one of Marshall’s most popular products.

https://marshall.com/live-for-music/history/history-of-the-jmp-2203-and-2204

They may not have used them but the were around

I never said that master volume Marshalls weren't around. Watch the live videos of Judas Priest on the Screaming For Vengeance tour. They were four holers. That was three or four years after British Steel.
They eventually used 2203s but it was later around the Defenders era. They also moved to JMP-1s and power amps too but that might have just been their live rigs.

Last edited:
The JMP 2203 was released 79 in the above Zen vids
British steel was 1980 April
Defenders would have been much later 1984-85

British Steel and Point of Entry were their “transitional” albums for me, bridging the gap between the almost prog leanings of the early stuff, and the shift to full on metal with Screaming. And their sound changed accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom