NGD: 2014 Vigier Expert Retro 54 hardtail

Can't escape feeling like the EJ and the Vigier are too close, in my financial bracket I shouldn't have both.

Nonsense! You deserve them both if both blow yer skirt up.

If I'm keeping the Vigier, maybe I should turn the EJ into a tele or a Gretsch or a Duesenberg or a 335-alike. But foibles and all, I can't quite see letting the EJ go. We'll see.

339s are nice. Teles are also nice. I should know. I have 4, including one I assembled....

Nonsense! You deserve them both if both blow yer skirt up.

339s are nice. Teles are also nice. I should know. I have 4, including one I assembled....
What I deserve is an interesting question, but less relevant than what I can afford :)

What I really mean is that I'm not so focused on strat-ness that this is a righteous allocation of my limited resources.

Lots of the time I play my Collings, not either one of those. Whatever that mojo thing is, it's got it, for me. Strat next, foibles and all, then Vigier, as well designed and built as it is, which is why I was looking to maybe send it along. But I did really dig the Vigier yesterday, so ultimately, I know nothing about anything.

Yay me.

If you liked the lighter strings of the silver sky, start there on the Vigier. Have that and the EJ with two different setups.

Like any hobby, what you own is only restricted by your wallet (and debt threshold lol). Skill or deserving it does not enter the equation. :)

If you liked the lighter strings of the silver sky, start there on the Vigier. Have that and the EJ with two different setups.

Like any hobby, what you own is only restricted by your wallet (and debt threshold lol). Skill or deserving it does not enter the equation. :)
Don't know that I actually liked the lighter strings on the SS, just noticed them as a difference.

I don't do debt, except for stuff like a new boiler, with 0% financing.

Last edited:
So unfaithful me took the Vigier to my local shop to ask about trading it for a used USA Silver Sky I saw they had, figured it'd be close to an even trade.
Not that I'm completely disenchanted with the Vigier, and it's a really good, high quality guitar, just not totally feeling the vibe sometimes.

Right out of the gate the shop said they weren't interested in it, period.
I was surprised, thought it'd be right up their alley -- boutique, semi-rare, excellent quality -- but no.
They pointed me to Music Go Round, which may mean they didn't know the brand, and took it to be just another low-rent import.
Kinda weird though.

Played the Silver Sky a bit, even though without the trade I didn't want to spend that much, and might choose to go for the SE version anyway, for price, and flatter fretboard radius. It was cool, but it didn't knock me out, which is what I thought 5 years ago when I bought my used EJ strat instead. Neck everything felt small, but I'm sure I'd get used to it. Tones were very strat, as expected, good, not anything cosmically amazing. But now I've experienced that in the flesh again in recent times, so, cool.

Came home, got out the Vigier, and I dig it, not sorry it's here :) The Silver Sky had lower action (and lighter strings), but the Vigier feels good and sounds good. Strat ballpark for sure, but those DiMarzios have something else going on too, and are a bit hotter. It plays well if not effortlessly, could maybe be improved with some setup work. Plus it has very little hum and buzz, even sitting close to my laptop, which most certainly is not like my strat.

Can't escape feeling like the EJ and the Vigier are too close, in my financial bracket I shouldn't have both. If I'm keeping the Vigier, maybe I should turn the EJ into a tele or a Gretsch or a Duesenberg or a 335-alike. But foibles and all, I can't quite see letting the EJ go. We'll see.
The part of the shop visit that really surprised me was their total lack of interest in the Vigier. Is there negative buzz about them or something? In my corner of the world they're highly respected, but maybe I'm out where the trains don't run...

The part of the shop visit that really surprised me was their total lack of interest in the Vigier. Is there negative buzz about them or something? In my corner of the world they're highly respected, but maybe I'm out where the trains don't run...
Not a well known brand thus hard to sell quick. Better to refuse than give a really low number, in their mind.

You probably were dealing with someone who couldn't bear to show that they didn't know everything in the world about every band that exists. A blowhard idiot.

You probably were dealing with someone who couldn't bear to show that they didn't know everything in the world about every band that exists. A blowhard idiot.
Shop doesn't generally have idiots, but it is totally possible the guy I talked to has never heard of Vigier, and just defaulted to no. They have stuff from multiple even smaller builders, and to me less well known, hard to judge their rep on a larger scale.

Anyway, it is what it is I was just surprised.

Shop doesn't generally have idiots, but it is totally possible the guy I talked to has never heard of Vigier, and just defaulted to no. They have stuff from multiple even smaller builders, and to me less well known, hard to judge their rep on a larger scale.

Anyway, it is what it is I was just surprised.
Any decent shop would normally take that no problem IME but that's over here.

Back
Top Bottom