FM9 Firmware Version 6.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've soldiered through audio switching gaps for years now and have gotten adept at workarounds, but I had a first rehearsal with gapless switching and, while I knew I'd love it, I was surprised by how much I got into it....it's very satisfying to have audio continuity in the FAS world now...a huge quality-of-life improvement and a welcome one.
Agree! I only got my unit a few months ago, and have been "studying" for the best approach to do the gapless workaround, but when I heard gapless was coming, I just started working on presets without worrying about gaps. I had and still have a long way to go in learning and being comfortable enough to bring it out to a gig as my full rig (currently using tube amp and Helix in 4CM), but I'm super stoked at the sounds and flexibility.

Last edited:
Do we need to do the whole settings menu switch to gapless switching like was outline in the beta releases, or does this FW default to that setting?

Cheers

Had already been part of the beta but just wanted to chime in to say thank you for making our devices so much better with every update! This is by far the best piece of music gear i've ever owned.

I used it last night on a gig and only had one problem but it was a doozy. I keep a pitch block in my main preset with a virtual capo a 1/2 step down in case a vocalists asks us to detune but it's not on a button or scene - just there "in case", Mid set it just turned on by itself and we spent most of a song trying to figure out who was in the wrong key. I had to delete the pitch block to make it through the rest of the set. I'll post it as a possible bug when I get a moment later today.

1707684950090.png

Do we need to do the whole settings menu switch to gapless switching like was outline in the beta releases, or does this FW default to that setting?
You need to do that if you hadn't done it already for one of the public beta releases. Can't hurt to double check the settings are still set correctly.

FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm9/6p0/fm9_dsp_rel_6p00.zip

If updating from a firmware version older than 5.00, you will need to use the newest version of Fractal-Bot to install Dyna-Cabs:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-bot-3-00-17.195519/

An updated version of FM9-Edit is required for use with this release:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-edit-1-02-09.201692/

If you are upgrading from version 4.01 or older, please follow the instructions in the Firmware Update guide PDF that is included to install the firmware and Dyna-Cabs. If you are updating from 5.00, Dyna-Cabs do not need to be reinstalled.
release notes?
thanks

I decided against the Gapless option for this reason. My go-to preset hit the red at about 80-82% and bogged down scene/channel switching, as well as edits to blocks that are heavy on cpu processing. Will need to consider workarounds to implement Gapless, though I'm happy with the switching time gap as-is.
This hit me too. I wasn't expecting gapless to have such an effect on CPU. I've got a few patches that are on the edge, so as much as I'd like to use it, I'll be disabling it globally.

This hit me too. I wasn't expecting gapless to have such an effect on CPU. I've got a few patches that are on the edge, so as much as I'd like to use it, I'll be disabling it globally.
I decided to copy my kitchen sink preset to the next location and pare it down for use only as a one-off special effect. This allowed me to delete a few blocks from my main preset and get cpu usage down a bit. So now I'm using Gapless All. No joke, it is fast! A little less convenient than one kitchen sink preset, but not a big deal IMO.

I decided to copy my kitchen sink preset to the next location and pare it down for use only as a one-off special effect. This allowed me to delete a few blocks from my main preset and get cpu usage down a bit. So now I'm using Gapless All. No joke, it is fast! A little less convenient than one kitchen sink preset, but not a big deal IMO.
And this is exactly why many of the FM3 owners are frothing about gapless! I honestly think that's the one that benefits the most from the feature.

I used Level of Output 1 set to 0 because I know none of my presets have changed that from default and I'm pretty certain none of the factory presets do either.

I used the air parameter in the speaker cab, set it to .02. Hope I didn’t mess up any presets!

I was pushing ~76% on v5 and v6/gapless switching bumped it to around 78%/79% on my main kitchen sink preset so I did some optimizing by dropping my Drive block (which I only rarely used) and inventorying all my FX blocks to ensure that they were running as lean as they could be.

I've configured a Control Switch to toggle the "Boost" in the "Preamp" tab in the AMP block on the switch press (instead of the "Drive" block bypass), and to toggle the "Saturation Boost" when holding the switch.

There is a good variety of "pedal" types in the AMP block; it was easy to find the right one to match the various tones and amps. While not as configurable as a dedicated "Drive" block, the right "drive" in the AMP block gets me to the same place while saving a fair bit of CPU.

While my workflow on the FM9 is to stay on one main preset and only use specialty presets mainly for songs that have certain FX configured and/or tones, gapless switching between presets does open up some new options for sure. I'm stoked with the gapless scene switching; I love how it feels.

Last edited:
I also like to have one main preset as possible, thinking old school you know, a bunch of pedals in front of an amp. I can have that and staying below 80% with FW 6.00. When doing the cover band thing, yes you need many specific sounds/effects and with gapless, it just seems unnecessary to be beating your head against the wall by trying to cram everything into one preset. I created a template of my main preset, and only when it's required, use that to make a copy to modify and tailor any special or specific needs of a song. I've never been a multiple presets guy, but FW6 is changing that. This approach allows for using the CPU hungry blocks in specific situations or parts for even a bigger impact. Anyway, I am super happy with this update, it's a total game changer! Great job FAS and all beta tester team!

After updating from FW5 to FW6 and doing the (Shift+RMB -- save-all presets) my FM9 is now doing something annoying. When stepping through songs of a setlist, using the default Layout 8 (sets-songs), it now automatically switches to the first preset in the song as I increment through the menu. Previously I could walk through them all and select the one I want when I got there, now it switches every time I push the Increment Up or Down. I made an issue with more details here.

I used the air parameter in the speaker cab, set it to .02. Hope I didn’t mess up any presets!
No idea... It wouldn't surprise me that some factory presets used Air.

My own presets don't, but in that case I'd rather set them to 0 so they have none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom